Can you use algebra substitution method instead of matrices to solve for unknown variables

The reason I ask is because I am doing Circuit Analysis and the guy uses Matrices to solve for the variables. I think he just wants me to buy the other other tutorial on Matrices that's why he introduce them into Circuit Analysis...  Anyway since it is solving for unknown variables (I did some high school algebra but that is it) can you use algebra substitution method instead of using a matrix/matrices to solve for unknown variables.

I have not learnt Matrices yet.

I asked because the 'best' method depends upon your aims.

There are many ways to solve circuits.

It can be done mathematically by the following methods:

graphically

algebraically

using matrix methods

using 'flowgraphs'

It can also be done using the Physics of the situation

One way is called walking through analysis

It can be done by systems analysis / operational methods for example two port methods. These are often combined with matrix methods

Edited by studiot

Just now, Achilles said:

Ok thank you. But is it possible to instead of converting algebraic equations in to a matrix/matrices to solve for unknown variables to simply use algebra substitution method, in some cases.

Yes in all cases.

Matrix methods can make it easier, especially by computer.

Algebraic substitution means that the equations are simultaneous.

There are many ways to solve simultaneous equations.
Some are best suited to solution by hand. This includes substitution.

Experience and knowledge with circuit theory can also make it easier by careful choice of which equations to use.

Matrix method is (usually) a way of describing a system of n equations in in unknowns, so that the solution can be obtained by matrix inversion.  Direct approach using Gauss elimination will get the same answer.  Do what you feel more comfortable with.