Cold Fusion

Morbytogan

Hey all,

Just wanted to quickly mention that this is my first post on the forums so I'm not sure if this is in the right place, so please let me know if it's not.

So basically, over the last couple of days I've been really fascinated by cold nuclear fusion and I can't understand why there hasn't been done more research into it. Why do we not research further into cold nuclear fusion? Also, when do y'all expect it to be a fully reliable source of energy? I can't understand why something that seems like it could be so helpful to the world isn't properly researched like it should be.

44 minutes ago, Morbytogan said:

So basically, over the last couple of days I've been really fascinated by cold nuclear fusion and I can't understand why there hasn't been done more research into it.

There is still quite a bit of research but so far very little evidence that it exists. As a result not much of the research gets reported. If it continues to not produce any results, then I expect the number of people doing research on it will continue to decrease.

There are a couple of companies claiming to have working systems based on cold fusion. At least one appears to be pretty close to fraudulent (no names, just in case ...)

The main reason is that in the 30 years since the original claim by Fleischmann and Pons  of having succeeding in producing excess energy via Cold fusion, no one has been able to clearly reproduce this effect, and the general consensus is that they never achieved what they claimed. 

There are a few  small groups still researching it, but like I said above, they, as of yet, have failed to produce any real evidence that Cold fusion is even possible as a viable energy source.  Unless this changes, the answer to how when it would become a reliable source of energy is likely "never".

52 minutes ago, Morbytogan said:

Hey all,

Just wanted to quickly mention that this is my first post on the forums so I'm not sure if this is in the right place, so please let me know if it's not.

So basically, over the last couple of days I've been really fascinated by cold nuclear fusion and I can't understand why there hasn't been done more research into it. Why do we not research further into cold nuclear fusion? Also, when do y'all expect it to be a fully reliable source of energy? I can't understand why something that seems like it could be so helpful to the world isn't properly researched like it should be.

Cold fusion as I understand it, seems to defy all our current theories about nuclear fusion. And of course since the first "claim"  in the eighties of this proposed result, it has never been repeated despite much research and many attempts.

In my opinion it appears to be in the same situation as the proposed electromagnetic propulsionless drive, but I would certainly love to be wrong about both of these potential game changing discoveries. In both respects I dont believe any law of physics would be broken, but perhaps some "unknown aspect" is hypothetically coming into play.

In answer to your question though, research certainly has been undertaken, and with the EM drive,  research is continuing with a proposal to test it in space.

Edited by beecee