I Took A Weird Photo during a Solar Eclipse last year

Aleman569

So I took a picture of the Moon and sun at the same time. But the moon was not where you would normally see it in pictures. This was taken in New York City at a partial eclipse. You can see the eclipse still. Is this a super rare phenomenon? Is this because it was taken at an angle? I am stumped. I am not too good at science, I am young so I don't really know. The blue surrounding it was some stupid idea to put my bad sunglasses over my phone camera lens to protect it. In my mind I was like. It is something. And luckily my phone survived. Is it even the moon? I believe it is. I cropped it and have the full 16:9 photo too. This was the solar eclipse in August 2017

20170821_141547.jpg

20170821_141548.jpg

Edited by Aleman569

If it's during an eclipse, you expect the moon to be overlapped with the sun.

What you may be seeing here are: the eclipse, which is wayyy overexposed so it's a big, bright circle. A lens flare, which is a less bright circle to the left and above, and a reflection of the eclipse (off of the sunglasses), which since the reflection is of a much lower intensity, is not overexposed.

I made photos of an eclipse too, in March 2015 in Europe, and they also show this reflection in the lense:

Eclipse01.JPG.17ec3e692e82ef550369da18923eccbc.JPG

This is what the eclipse looked like when projected through binoculars:

Eclipse02.JPG.f9a56948fef2133d3d18f2f60e19d4b2.JPG

It does not need sunglasses... Reflections in the camera's already objective explain it.