More dark matter news ...

Strange

The plot thickens (or not)

Three years ago, a Durham-led international team of researchers thought they had made a breakthrough in ultimately identifying what dark matter is.

However, the same group of astronomers now say that new data from more recent observations shows that dark matter in the Abell 3827 cluster has not separated from its galaxy after all. The measurement is consistent with dark matter feeling only the force of gravity.

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-dark-interactive.html

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

Thanks Strange, damn!! Got in before I could rub the sleep out of my eyes...again! :P

Important extract from your article, which may [or may not] explain observations.

While the new results show dark matter staying with its galaxy, the researchers said it did not necessarily mean that dark matter does not interact. Dark matter might just interact very little, or this particular galaxy might be moving directly towards us, so we would not expect to see its dark matter displaced sideways, the team added.

56 minutes ago, JacobsLadder said:

I suspect dark matter isn't very exciting at all.

I think it is just lots of ordinary matter floating about in space.

Possibly a small percentage maybe, [we call that MACHO "Massive Astrophysical Compact Halo Object"]  but certainly the evidence for non baryonic DM is pretty weighty at this time. So much for your suspicions.

Edited by beecee

5 hours ago, JacobsLadder said:

I suspect dark matter isn't very exciting at all.

I think it is just lots of ordinary matter floating about in space.

The amount of dark matter required would be visible (absorbing/scattering light) etc. And the distribution of dark matter doesn’t match what would be produced by ordinary matter. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.