Milk and Vitamin D Deficiency

ku

Lack of exposure to sunlight can result in vitamin D deficiencies, which can lead to osteoporosis down the track. It is suggested that people who do not expose themselves to much sunlight supplement vitamind D levels with their diet. What I want to know is what types of food has much vitamin D and whether or not all dairy products (such as milk) are vitamin D rich or only specific ones?

You'll find fish are a better source of Vitamin D. Cheeses are the only dairy product which have a Vitamin D content worth talking about.

Who says people with little sunlight supplement with a vit D alternate?

Dairy products (milk) are not intended for human consumption. They contain sugars of which the enzymes are only present in humans for the first 6 months (ie Breast feeding.) So nature had intended us to have fish to supplement the diet. One table spoon of cod liver oil has over 3 days worth of Vitamin D.

But, remeber, the process of creating the vitamin D is also an important factor. We cant simply take pills or relie on diet to ensure our skin and body remian healthy.

Sun exposure

Sun exposure is perhaps the most important source of vitamin D because exposure to sunlight provides most humans with their vitamin D requirement [13]. UV rays from the sun trigger vitamin D synthesis in skin [13-14]. Season, geographic latitude, time of day, cloud cover, smog, and sunscreen affect UV ray exposure and vitamin D synthesis [14]. For example, sunlight exposure from November through February in Boston is insufficient to produce significant vitamin D synthesis in the skin. Complete cloud cover halves the energy of UV rays, and shade reduces it by 60%. Industrial pollution, which increases shade, also decreases sun exposure and may contribute to the development of rickets in individuals with insufficient dietary intake of vitamin D [15]. Sunscreens with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 8 or greater will block UV rays that produce vitamin D, but it is still important to routinely use sunscreen to help prevent skin cancer and other negative consequences of excessive sun exposure. An initial exposure to sunlight (10 -15 minutes) allows adequate time for Vitamin D synthesis and should be followed by application of a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 to protect the skin. Ten to fifteen minutes of sun exposure at least two times per week to the face, arms, hands, or back without sunscreen is usually sufficient to provide adequate vitamin D [14]. It is very important for individuals with limited sun exposure to include good sources of vitamin D in their diet.

(http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp#h2)

They contain sugars of which the enzymes are only present in humans for the first 6 months (ie Breast feeding.)

Too, renin production decreases as we age.

For the sake of future generations not suffering from lactose intolerance, keep consuming dairy products so that our bodies learns to handle it :D

You know, that the chinese have the highest level of lactose intolerance but we dominate the world population...maybe milk is overated? Anyone got any opinions on the worthiness of milk?

So, drink SOY MILK! Lol, it might help...

Lack of exposure to sunlight can result in vitamin D deficiencies, which can lead to osteoporosis down the track. It is suggested that people who do not expose themselves to much sunlight supplement vitamind D levels with their diet. What I want to know is what types of food has much vitamin D and whether or not all dairy products (such as milk) are vitamin D rich or only specific ones?

In the US milk, but not other dairy products in general, has vitamin D added.

So' date=' drink SOY MILK! Lol, it might help...[/quote']

Eden soy milk is a good product. I believe it is produced from organically grown beans. I don't have a box handy to make sure of that.

The problem is, soymilk doesn't taste too good with cereal..

That's why I just switched back to normal milk because I didn't want to constantly drink both types of milk on a constant basis, might not be too good for the stomach.

The problem is' date=' soymilk doesn't taste too good with cereal..

That's why I just switched back to normal milk because I didn't want to constantly drink both types of milk on a constant basis, might not be too good for the stomach.[/quote']

I like Eden milk with spelt organic whole grain cereal and organic raw rolled oats. Add a little unsulfured blackstrap molasses. If it's too thick, simply add a little water. Mmmm nutritiously good and full of energy!

Personally, I love Chocolate Silk soymilk. Great stuff, and healthy enough that I don't feel guilty about drinking what is effectively chocolate milk.

However, I will note a word of warning: if you switch to soy products very fast, and go from zero to lots, you body *can* develop a soy allergy/intolerance. It happened to my GF this year, when she swtiched hard because of sudden lactose intolerance (caused, it turns out, by sudden onset of coeliac).

But a little bit at a time is fine, just don't go from none to 3 gallons a day or something.

Mokele

For some odd reason I don't like chocolate milk, never did since kindergarten.

What's really fun is chugging your milk, everytime I poor myself a glass (morning or night) I love chugging it and getting an ultimate brain freeze. Painful, yet fun I must say.

• 1 year later...
You'll find fish are a better source of Vitamin D. Cheeses are the only dairy product which have a Vitamin D content worth talking about.

Who says people with little sunlight supplement with a vit D alternate?

Dairy products (milk) are not intended for human consumption. They contain sugars of which the enzymes are only present in humans for the first 6 months (ie Breast feeding.) So nature had intended us to have fish to supplement the diet. One table spoon of cod liver oil has over 3 days worth of Vitamin D.

You know I'm going to have to disagree with both those points.

Sure fish does contain lots of vitamin D. But pretty much every grocery store contains Milk fortified with both vitamin D and A. So while it is not a natural source you can definatley get vitams D, A and calcium from milk. Making it a very healthy choice.

Secondly How can you make a statement like "not intended for human consumption"? Don't we breast feed? And who exactley decides what's intended for human consumption? That's an incredibly opionated statement. Also the vast majority of Europeans, are not lactose intolerant so they definatley don't loose these enzymes after 6 months. They decrease with age, but this takes fairly long and many elederly can still drink lots of milk.

What you've stated only applies for lactose intolerant people.

Most asians might be, but you shouldn't make such an all emcompassing statement. Milk is good for you. Espcially since there are far more incidences of inadequate calcium intake than vitamin D not to mention all these varieties of milk low is saturated fat.