Air flow

flyerdave

I have two identical containers with vents at the bottom of each container, a tube connecting them at the top and each container filled half way with water, both are located in a larger tank of water. 

Question is: - If i press down on one of the containers forcing more water into the bottom of the container, will the air transfer to the other container via the connecting tube and force out the water in the second container?

thanks for the reply.

So, what happens when I force one of the containers lower in the water using weights will the equilibrium change? The two containers are connected at the top by sealed tubes, so no outside air can get in.

If you can envisage two cylinders with a connecting tube at the top and one opening on each cylinder on the base to let water in or out in a tank of water.

Edited by flyerdave
more info

Is there a practical application, or is this theoretical?  What are the containers made of?  How big are they?  Are we talking sink and plastic or ocean and tankers?  Do we want an exact answer or a general understanding?

By pushing down ( or adding weight ) to one of the boxes, you are decreasing the volume, or increasing the pressure of the trapped air volume.
Since the trapped air of the one box is connected to the trapped air of the second box, the pressure in each will quickly become equivalent.
Since the second box now sees a higher pressure of its trapped air, it will tend to rise in the water.

Edit:
By pushing the first box completely underwater, you should be able to force the second completely out of the water.
( assuming equl sized boxes )

Edited by MigL