What might cause this clicking or pressure sensation ?

allendc

I’m looking for some advice.   For weeks at a time, I’ll be woken up once or twice a night.  Sometimes I can lay in bed and at the same times I usually wake up I’ll feel an odd sensation of pressure in my head.   Two successive housemates have felt the same thing.  They’ve described it as a clicking, pinching, snapping or pressure sensation that lasts just a split second.  It’s not painful, but its enough to wake us apparently.

A while back I spotted tracks in the snow in a neighbors back yard.  So, I approached that neighbor.  He refused to install security lighting, or cameras, and just dismissed my reports.   I was able to pay another neighbor to let me set up a camera inside their home ... and surprise surprise, at about the same times I’m woken up we can see someone on the video sneaking back there and pointing something at my house.  They then kneel down and get back up 20 seconds later and do the same thing, then walk away.  It wasn’t just once or twice that the camera recorded someone doing this - but 8 times over a 14 day period.

The police have not been of much help.   At first they’d tell me to keep calling every time something happens.   Of course by the time they’d get there no one is around, and they see no evidence of anything.   Their body language sort of said ‘stop calling us’.   They almost laughed when I described the sensation I felt - and asked me if I’ve seen a doctor.

I took the videos to the police and they said they could drive by more often - but they still need catch the person in the act to make an arrest.   The neighbors are also a little leery of getting more involved as well.  I suspect a former neighbor is paying someone to do this ... and if the people doing it get caught, it’s only a matter of time before someone else is hired to do the job. 

I don’t want legal advice.  I’d like some technical advice about what this might be and how I could detect it - in real time - via electronics.  I should say that I never hear anything, I just feel it.   No other neighbor experiences any issue.   I also only experience this at night.

I tried using a Vibrometer app on my smart phone and twice saw a huge jump in the response at the same time I felt the sensation.   That no longer shows anything ... and my sense is the “volume” has lowered a bit as I don’t seem to be waking up right away anymore.

I’ve done some research and assume they’re using a battery powered gadget that produces a short burst of either very low or very high frequency sound (that a human can not hear), or maybe some sort of high powered radio or electromagnetic signal.  I assume I’ve never felt this effect in quick succession because their gadget has to re-charge some large capacitors before it can be used again.

I’m experienced in microcontrollers, and have built a few circuits using pressure sensors and accelerometers.  I thought my accelerometer circuit may have detected something ... but that was about the time I used the phone app - and neither has caught anything sense.   Both my housemate and I think the sensation varies a little at times - so perhaps there is more then one gadget being used to do this.

So, does anyone know what type of gadget could generate this type of pressure sensation by someone about 15 feet from my house ?   If I could get whatever they’re using I’d at least be able to convince others this is real, and not my imagination.  Just that would be a huge help.  Many people have dismissed the videos as not related.

I’d like to be able to build something that can detect it at the time it happens, quantify it in some way, and allow me to run some sort of tranquilization algorithm to try to determine where it’s come from.

WTF.

What can be seen on the camera? Is the person doing this discernable? What is he (or she) wearing?
Also, does this happen at the same time each night? If it is, it might be easy to set up an ambush, like the police, or worst case scenario, you with a wooden plank.

Another thing. Is the thing he uses visible? How big is it? Are your windows open? Have you tried closing the shades or windows? It would be incredibly less efficient to try to find out what he is using a making a defense, instead of just solving the problem first-hand.

9 hours ago, allendc said:

I suspect a former neighbor is paying someone to do this ... and if the people doing it get caught, it’s only a matter of time before someone else is hired to do the job. 

Now that's just crazy talk. What would you suspect this? Knowing nothing, it would be much more reasonable to suspect one person is behind and doing this. To suspect that there's a chain of possible culprits leans towards paranoia and conspiracy theories. Don't do that.

The fact that none of the neighbours or other people cares about this is very fishy. The neighbours aren't concerned about someone sneaking behind their house on the middle of the night almost every day. Something's off about all of this.

I've been here the entire time and summarized the situation in about a thousand words.  There's a lot I did not say - not wanting to bore people.   The neighbors were afraid to get involved in the original situation (which I said nothing of).  It's difficult to explain the entire issue and still get people to bother to read it all.   You read a fraction of what's happened.  And, you're creating your opinions on a fraction of what's happened.

The camera does not get a clear picture of their face.  It's not the same time every night nor is it every night.  The police WILL NOT sit there to catch them.  They've told me that over and over.   They have gun shot incidents to respond to and this is a practically a non issue compared to what they deal with.   The "thing" is also not clearly visible, maybe the size of a radar gun or hair dryer.  Windows are open when it happens in the summer and closed in the winter.    The shades would provide ZERO protection.   I've tried things thicker then the shades - no difference.

They wear clothes.  dark, brown, blue, black - cant tell.

It seems much more reasonable to suspect that someone is paying someone to do this when you know the full history and he fact that I likely cost them around $10,000 - just from the fact that their house sat vacant for nearly a year due to all of MY cameras scaring off buyers.   Not to mention their having to re-uimburse the insurance company after I told them (all insurance companies in the state who are members of the association of real estate insurers) that he was renting to 4 to six unrelated people at a time (ie: boarding house).    

Ohhhhh so many details.   I've still mentioned just a small fraction.  I'm basing my statements on what I've seen in the years I've lived here, not a 2000 word summation of someone who lived here for several years.   

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Or going out and asking him what he is doing.

And he's going to just stay there and talk to me ???    He's likely committing a misdemeanor - or possible even assault.   In the entire time this has happened - I've never gotten the sense that anyone involved would be willing to talk to me about it.    Is a person who robs a store at gun point going to just stop and stay there and talk to you about it ?    Why not ?    I think it's very similar to who ever is doing this.

5 minutes ago, allendc said:

And he's going to just stay there and talk to me ???

Maybe. Or maybe not. You won't know until you try.

5 minutes ago, allendc said:

He's likely committing a misdemeanor - or possible even assault.

Or maybe he is looking for his cat. Or looking at the stars. Or .. who knows what. Without any evidence, the misdemeanour is in your head.

6 minutes ago, allendc said:

In the entire time this has happened - I've never gotten the sense that anyone involved would be willing to talk to me about it.

Have you tried to talk to them? 

7 minutes ago, allendc said:

I think it's very similar to who ever is doing this.

Do they have a gun? Are they robbing you? So, no, it isn't the least bit similar.

I'm being woken several times a week.   Do you think I might have tried to go out and look. DUHHHHHHH.

So someone his walking through 2 feet of snow to get behind my neighbors garage, instead of walking up the plowed driveway, to look at the stars ?   

They'd sneak behind the garage twice a night at 230 and 430 am several nights a week - and point something at my house ... to look for their cat ?

I am at work and on mobile so I can't write much; I just want to address a few key points for now.

First and foremost, I am confused about you saying that you are scaring buyers off because ypu installed security cameras all around and that's why he is doing this. I had the impression that you installed the cameras AFTER this started happening so that couldn't have been the reason. Also, that implies that he knows about the cameras, yet he is standing there in full view doing whatever he is doing.

Also, where is this neighbour now? Did you talk at all after the "bad blood" started with you reporting him to the police for the rent thing?

Why are the other neighbours scared? Why are they not keen to find out who this man sneaking around their houses is? We are definitely missing some details here?

Can't you just sleep with a bat or something and as soon as that thing wakes you up, you make a mad dash outside to at least scare him shitless? This is all I can write now, I will talk to you later.

Edited by Lord Antares

Assuming you aren't imagining it all, it sounds like you need to do a fingertip search of your bedroom. 

The only likely gadget that I can imagine he is using is a remote control which would indicate something hidden in the house that he is switching on and off etc. I can't say I find any of it very likely, but that's what I'd look for, if it happened to me.

You could also invest in an ultra-powerful torch, and light him up like a search light next time he tries it. Or hire someone who owns a big vicious dog to spend the night hiding, and then set the dog on him when he was in action. Not that that would be legal, but you could argue that the dog got loose.

11 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

I am at work and on mobile so I can't write much; I just want to address a few key points for now.

First and foremost, I am confused about you saying that you are scaring buyers off because ypu installed security cameras all around and that's why he is doing this. I had the impression that you installed the cameras AFTER this started happening so that couldn't have been the reason. Also, that implies that he knows about the cameras, yet he is standing there in full view doing whatever he is doing.

Also, where is this neighbour now? Did you talk at all after the "bad blood" started with you reporting him to the police for the rent thing?

Why are the other neighbours scared? Why are they not keen to find out who this man sneaking around their houses is? We are definitely missing some details here?

Can't you just sleep with a bat or something and as soon as that thing wakes you up, you make a mad dash outside to at least scare him shitless? This is all I can write now, I will talk to you later.

The previous owner next door moved out of state and rented to his nephew.  Within 2 weeks there were 5 or 6 20’ish kids living there.   Parties 3 nights a week.   Police over 25+ times in 18 months.   I only called once.    I spoke to a few neighbors.  Very bothered by it they said.   Eventually police told me they spoke to same neighbor I did and said they had no complaints.   They tell me privately there is a problem but wont do anything - afraid.

I file Freedom of Information requests with county, city.  Owner fined several times for not getting certificate of occupancy - required to rent home.  First fine $50, next $100, next $200.   Strange.  I ask my insurance agent.  They explain his rates would go from $500 a year to $2500 easily - due to renting place as a boarding house, and due to all police activity if they ever found out about that.  

Reports also mention alleged jewelry theft inside home.   Perhaps insurance used to pay.   My agent says most insurance companies would demand retroactive payment to time home first rented.   That alone would be ~$1000.   Would also likely demand repayment of claims paid out.   Action is insurance fraud, though state, insurance companies would not pursue it unless there were huge $$ involved.

I asked owner to do something. He refused.  I sent him PDFs of all reports I got.  I said if he does not do something I’d forward to state insurance association.  Waited another 6 months then sent emails to insurance association.  By this time pattern of targeted harassment already well in place.  

Within 3 weeks they’re packing.   Owner gets COO.  On way out the 20 yr olds tell me “I’ll be leaving soon also”.   Harassment gets worse.   I put up cameras.   Cameras are IR and emit visible red glare. You see red before camera sees you.  Bushes on other neighbors properties may block MY cameras.

I assume cameras at least kept them farther away from my property.   An older couple moves in for 6 months.   Then owner puts up sale signs.   I am being harassed.  My cameras stay up.  House remains vacant nearly 14 months.   I searched.   He had been asking $1400 a month - and likely got that.  Similar properties rent for that on same street.  I have NO idea why he did not return to renting instead.   My videos show people coming to look at house and staring at my cameras.   House finally sells after being on market 14 months.   Selling price about $20K less then first asking price.

I am still being harassed.   I approach neighbors on both sides and offer to pay for security lighting and its installation.   One says sure - but never follows through despite my re-asking.   Other says NO - exact words something like “I’ll do something when it impacts me”.  Other neighbors literally told me they did not want to get involved.   I had been open about what was happening to me - maybe they’re just looking out for their best interest.   Maybe it was the occasional broken windows at my home that bothered them.  I also think some were upset that I'd cut down several trees and rip out bushes on MY property - that provided them a little shade and privacy.  

I get one tenant.   She can not get her school work done.  She is Chinese and afraid to speak to police.  Tells me she cant tolerate it anymore, leaves - later tells me she had expired visa.   Another tenant moves in.  I never told them what had happened.  They eventually talk to me about being woken up frequently.   Their description matches my experience.  

The cameras eventually captured someone were in a distant house.   Not good image.   My cameras could not get a clear view of that same area.  It’s behind a wood picket fence.  They were NOT in clear/full view (of cameras in MY house).

Yes I talked to them directly.  Multiple times.  He denied everything.  I also showed him Freedom of Info request I made that showed me calling police only once (at that point).  He said it didn’t matter there was no problem between us.  I don’t think someone is going to admit to me they’re harassing me.

I had to pay the people to put cameras up.   They did not seem too concerned about someone bothering me.  I think it was pretty clear they themselves were not being bothered by anyone.  They charged me for a CD with video. They wanted more $$ to keep cameras up.  

I’ve tried running out many several times.  I’m not 20, 30, 40 or 50.   A bit older then them.  I did hire someone to walk around ... and on those nights slept very well.  

The trouble I face is that most cant accept that a noise can make you feel very uncomfortable, yet not be heard.  Most cant accept that a noise can be directed at a specific area, and not impact the properties nearby.   I say noise though I am not sure it is really that.   Most react to my account in a hostile demeaning way.  

I assume they also doubt anyone at the US consulate in Cuba were really bothered by anything.