Does Standing up too much Make you Shorter?

ku

I've been increasingly concerned about my height ever since I read a scientitic article that explained how women are instinctually extremely discriminatory when it comes to male height.

If I stand up for a long time my feet feel sore. I wonder whether the weight on my body pressing against the legs could actually compress the bones in my legs enough to make me shorter. If you sit down, the body weight from your upper body is not longer pushing down on your legs. So does standing up often make you shrink? Or is the effect negligible?

It seems like you take much worry in your body. From what I've read, there should not be a relationship. The human body was designed to run, walk, stand... well if it wasn't you wouldn't have legs in the first place. I think this misconception goes along with: lifting weights while standing up makes you short.

Tall or short, it's genetics and a matter of what you eat.

From when you wake up in the morning to when you go to bed at night, your spine compresses in the same way. Thus, you are always a bit taller in the morning (or whenever you wake up) than when you go to sleep. Which also explains why everyone is about an inch taller in space.

Over your lifetime you will get shorter as your backbone compresses. Maybe an inch or so over several decades.
I was 6' 5" in high school 30 years ago. I get most of my above-average height from the waist up (a friend who is 5' 10" wears the same size inseam in pants as I do).

Thirty years later I am 6' 3.5". The backbone does compress as you age. Your leg bones do not.

Gravity... a real Downer! I curse Newton for inventing it! :)

and basicly that`s all it is, Gravity, that`s why older people tend to "sag" in facial features (and bits you`de rather not see).

after a good nights sleep (flat) you`ll attain your correct size again without a problem though :)

lol. you don't need to be too worried, girls don't really care THAT much about height, i mean as long as they are average and not too short its alright. there are other things that we pay much more attention to.

based on this:

lol. you don't need to be too worried, girls don't really care THAT much about height, i mean as long as they are average and not too short its alright. there are other things that we pay much more attention to.

and mmalucks answer "You could always dangle from your ankles."

I`m guessing here that height means nothing but it pays to be "well Hung" :)

• 2 weeks later...