Electron gun

BenSon

We're doing cathode ray's at school at the moment and there was mention of an "electron gun" naturaly this caught my attention. The teacher gave little information on it and left me pondering. I guess it would be similar to a CRT but with an open end. How much of a range would this thing have? But more importantly what would it be capable of doing! Would it build up a static charge on someone so as soon as they touch some metal they fry? Would it stream straight into them like high eneergy betas? I am just realy curious about this one :D

~Scott

Yep i'm familiar with CRT's but I was talking about somthing that more resembles a gun in that it could propel electrons at range. Dosen't the front of the TV block them. If i was to remove the electron gun from a TV what sort of a range would if have?

~Scott

it would act like low energy beta particles. do some radiation damage ionize a few hundred air molecules and have a range of about 1m in air. not as impresive as a .45 desert eagle but you might get a cool plasma formed on the way out. or it might not work at all as in crts there is a near vacuum so unless you put the gun ina vacuum and had an electron transparent material for it to come out of then it might not work.

Damn, I was thinking zinc sulfide(or similar) coated sheet and write on it leaving trails of glowingness :) . Although a 1 metre range is not too bad this could be interesting.

~Scott