Academic interests and work ethic in the workforce?

mad_scientist

hey guys...

If you have interest in science and enjoy learning and studying, does this necessarily make you a hard working employee should you join the workforce?

In what situations would this be the case and in what situations would this not be the case?

What is everyone's personal experiences from viewing the world?

I heard people who enjoy learning about science tend to be quite lazy and this explains why they have so much time to ponder upon scientific/philosophical questions ordinary folk don't even bother looking into or thinking about.

thanks,

mad_scientist

Well p, depends in the level you are. But atypically in an academic career you are busy, if only because you have to wear so many hats (at faculty level). But even at postdoc or also grad student level you spend an inordinate amount I research which at minimum requires a lot of reading an writing and in many disciplines, lab work.
As a consequence most are used to work 50-80 hours weeks (with more on crunchtime) but getting compensated for 20-40 (there is no paid overtime). So no I don't see how you can be lazy and still get things done.
A common complaint on the faculty level is that you are actually that busy that you often cannot properly develop ideas you have.

Quite a few people I know who left academia love that (in most cases) their work in industry stays at their workplace and they do not feel as burnt out as they did in academia.

Edited by CharonY