what is pie

mikumber

Pie is a type of good food.

Pi, on the other hand, is the ratio of the length of the circumference of a circle to the length of the diameter. It is approximately 3.14159265.

What else would you like to know?

-Uncool-

I am a 27 year old woman that has not been in school for twelve years, and I am wanting to go to college. I am only equiped with a G.E.D, but I am determined to go to school. I know that my questions may seem stupid to you, but I need help to prepare for the "Student Placement Test." If you have any comments that might help me know what to study, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit:

A good website to ask for mathematical advise would be:

http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/forum-298.html

The Classroom Math section would help you a lot. People are free to ask basic math questions or problems they are having.

When I had taken my college entrance test, I had noticed that many of my mathematical skills were bad.

I had forgotten many things that I had learnt in High School and also did very terrible on the Math section of the entrance test.

I would suggest that you study basic mathematics. Pre-algebra it's called in Northern America. Seeing that you have obtain your General Education Diploma, I would think you have terminology on your side, but you forget some of the definitions and applications.

That is O.K.

I'm guessing you know exactly what questions to ask to learn math.

Pre-algebra would be a great step in learning material to prepare for a college entrance exam.

There are many resources at a local library that can help you find these resources.

A good idea would be to go to the Librarian there, and ask them the same question as you are asking us in this website.

Once you have done Pre-algebra, a basic mathematics study, you can move to Algebra and then Intermediate Algebra.

Intermediate Algebra has many names. Asking a Librarian for learning resources to help you with Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and Intermediate Algebra will help you get more prepared for this college entrance test.

I estimate that it takes a person with nine hours a day of hard study to pass through one of these mathematics studies. In a month one could be completely done learning Pre-Algebra and then move to Algebra for a month and then to Intermediate Algebra.

Pi has more to do with something called Geometry. Depending on the educational facility in the state you went to, the educational board you had may or may not have required you to know Geometry to pass the GED.

On the college entrance exams though, knowing geometry will help save you money. This is why I suggest you learn Geometry also. The fundamentals of Geometry will help a person as a last step for doing very well on a college entrance test.

Many Colleges will group 'Intermediate Algebra and Geometry' into one class. This is why it is important to know both. Sadly, many colleges don't let people independantly take Geometry seperately from Intermediate Algebra.

The college entrance exam will test your geometry knowledge also. Having fundamental Geometry experience will prevent you from having to take lower level courses.

The estimated time to get from Pre-Algebra to Geometry would seem to be four months with continuous, non-stop study.

One month per subject in Mathematics.

When learning from a book, working out the examples in it and having a book with odd answers in the back make learning a lot easier, because you put examples to work and you have the ability to check answers from questions in the book.

Another interesting thing I would like to tell you is that many Colleges have a library of their own. Some learning materials are a lot better than the ones you find at a local library. Many of these books will sometimes have intructor's manuals allowing you to see all the answers that come with the book's questions. I check out my mathematic books at my college library.

One additional piece of advice; study how to take the tests, too. There are loads of books on SAT prep that will teach you how to take standardized tests; the local library should have them, and check out yard sales, and even book-stores [this is the off season for college prep, so they are probably remaindered.

my most respectful advice to you is get a library card and get out a kids book on world civilisations.

This is a perfect way to create a set of cubby-holes or grid if you like to stick all your information into.

also I like to think that for every thing we must learn there is a person in history who figured it out first.

I don’t care much for pi, but i do care about the first Babylonian wheat farmers trying to figure out how to make their land square using mathematics.

So try and find out the who where and why for every what.

also one other thing...try and get your knowledge first hand.

don’t read about for example a "tiger"...get into that local zoo, watch the beast listen to the subsonic rumble of its growl... feel the fear...

ask the keeper if you can watch it when it comes in for dental work...

recapping...make a framework to place the information into before you start.

Get the most first hand information possible.

pi (3.14159...) is the number that you multiply the diamator of a circle by to get the circimfrence. It is an irrational number, meaning it is infinate[/b'].

It is most definately a finite number. The number of decimal places required to accurately describe it is infinite.

For a more accurate description. It cannot be expressed as a/b where a and b are integers.