Reality TV and Commercials

the GardenGnome

I agree. It just gets worse and worse....so much for Channel 5's "Matrix Night" last night....it was just the film (ruined by frequent and extremely long ad breaks)...followed by Animatrix (10 minutes, bulked out by almost the same amount of time for adverts), followed by a really short thing on the making of Matrix Reloaded (again, totally buggered by ad breaks).

I saw an ad for a new TV series (starts today I think), called something like 'Britains Dirtiest Homes' in which a couple of people go around to the homes of people who don't do housework, and clean their houses for them. What the f***k is that all about?

I think TV companies are just opting for the cop-out...the cheapest crap they can find that caters to the lowest common denominator just so they can put something on just so there's someone to watch all the adverts.

Reality TV? Arse! BIg Brother...I'm a celebrity get me out of here and the rest of that type of crap...what's the point of it? There's bugger all real about it...it ain't even entertaining (unless you enjoy sessions of acute cringing and dispair at the kind of people who volunteer to be on that kind of thing).

It's cheap, they don't have to pay actors or anything, it caters to to the quasi-sadistic, there's no imagination, it's not informative and (in my opinion) not entertaining. I don't know how they're getting away with it. I thought they had some kind of obligation to meet certain criteria...but being commercial stations, probably (and evidently) not.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

Since Babylon 5 ended, about the only thing I miss about not having a TV is the documentaries.

You mean since season 4 ended? :P

My favourite thing about TV is the fact that you have to pay for SKY, which infers you have already paid for your TV license, yet SOMEHOW they have the nerve to run 18 minutes of adverts and trailers in every hour.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

You mean since season 4 ended? :P

My favourite thing about TV is the fact that you have to pay for SKY, which infers you have already paid for your TV license, yet SOMEHOW they have the nerve to run 18 minutes of adverts and trailers in every hour.

heh, yeap, series 4. It's such a shame that the studios were so iffy about funding it that they didn't tell JMS about if there would be a series 5 till too late.

yeah, I think Sky is disgusting for that, especially on the main channels like sky 1, where they seem to spend hours advertising other sky programs/channels right in the middle of your favourite programs, like the Simpsons.

The simpsons is far superior on BBC2... such a shame it is so damn late.

JMS always planned for 5 seasons, but WB told him they wouldn't pay for the fifth during the start of S4.

That's why S4 suddenly got jammed full of plot resolutions, and S5 had nothing in it. He had to make up a whole new story when TNT paid for season 5.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

It was a botch job. Not half as much as Crusade though :rolleyes:

I never saw that, though I hear the technomage was a good idea. Furthermore I thought the end of the Earth conflict was good, but as for the shadow war, Sheridan went for the "if you can't solve it, nuke it" option... the third time he had dealt with a war by nuking someone. also the line "now get out of our galaxy" was rather unfulfilling I thought.

Yes. They didn't make enough use of the necky-clingy things either.

The Technomage was a good idea - although certainly not new as there was one in B5 season 1 - but not executed well at all. The rest of Crusade was awful.

Talking of reality TV.... I have (rather sadly) just seen the start of the new UK Big Brother. I think we watch it out of horrified fascination mostly -thinking smugly to ourselves "I would NEVER behave like that on national TV". Maybe I have a nasty streak but I rather like watching people make complete prats of themselves. And there is also something entertaining in a sneaky kind of way about spying on people. Well, at least I admit to being sad.

I derive no satisfaction from watching them make prats of themselves. Not even the ones who clearly deserve to fall on their faces.

I just feel a strange kind of empty sadness that not only can they not see themselves, but so many other people are taken in by the spectacle of it all.

What this species needs is a pandemic that only infects tabloid readers.

Originally posted by fafalone

Season 5 was better than Season 1... 1 was rather boring.

Overall, B5 was the best show ever. I've got every episode recorded.

true, I hated season 1, and rarely watched it. I only happened to chance on the last episode, and watched season 2 to see what happened to delenn.

Delenn was funny in the pilot movie :P