Favourite books

daisy

Having just seen a programme about British TV's "The Big Read" where people nominate the 100 best books of all time, I wondered what you all read. I have very wide ranging tastes from Dickens to Stephen King, Jane Austen to Tolkein, Terry Pratchett to Dorothy Dunnett. What do you all like? i would find it impossible to pick one best ever book - what about A.A. Milne's Winnie -the - Pooh, Roald Dahl's Matilda, the list is absolutely endless. I also love the "Dune" series by Frank Herbert. May I hear your thoughts?

I couldn't begin to tell you a fraction of the books I've read, but I've read some good ones^_^ The Belgariad series was cool....Dragonlance chronicles...enchanted forest series, some of Nora Roberts (I don't wanna hear about it) books are cool, as with Johanna Lindsey, stephen king and I forgot who wrote "Child of Shadows", of course tolkien books...that's a good list for now I think;)

Tom Clancy is one of my most favourite authors, although I haven't read any of his stuff for a while. I do have all of the books in the Jack Ryan series though. Tolkien's stuff is brilliant, although I haven't got around to reading the Silmarillion yet. It sounds sad, but I do like the Harry Potter books immensely, and they definately rate up there for me. Other than that, I'll read any book that I like the look of. On the science side, my definate favourite would be "Fermat's Last Theorem" by Simon Singh, although I've not actually read too many science books (just the ones I could find in the school library). Oh yes, and any Dr. Who books/other random sci-fi is good.

China Miéville's books are astounding, espeically Perdido Street Station and The Scar. Iain M Banks is excellent too, though he writes to slowly to keep any momentum up. Pratchett is excellent too, though his books have become a bit too familiar of late I think.

Anyone read Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series? I loved them but I didn't understand all of the technical stuff - great story though (hmm...I must go and re-read them). I invested in a set of Vikram Seth's "A Suitable Boy" (charity shop about five quid) but I can't seem to find the time to read them, although I can just tell form my first attempt that I will love it.

Tolkein's Farmer Giles of Ham.

:D

I'll read anything though, no favorite. But I don't like Tom Clancy. He's a bit of a fool. Quite liked the The Belgariad, and the David Gemmell stuff. I've been reading Umberto Eco, but it's not light reading.