Survial Or Destruction?

us.2u

The sun won't go away. It will still be there and most of the planets will still be there. They'll be further away because the sun will have lost some mass.

The Earth will probably be there, because it's orbit will have receded beyong the reach of the sun's red giant phase by then. Everything beyond the Earth will still be in orbit around the white dwarf sun that's left.

The sun won't go away. It will still be there and most of the planets will still be there. They'll be further away because the sun will have lost some mass.

The Earth will probably be there' date=' because it's orbit will have receded beyong the reach of the sun's red giant phase by then. Everything beyond the Earth will still be in orbit around the white dwarf sun that's left.[/quote']

Sorry I don't understand, when our Sun reaches the supergiant stage...it'll be ~the size of Mars's orbit to-date. How will the Earth survive that in the first place? Will we still recede from the Sun? Sorry if I sound like a total moron...but how will we start to move away from the sun at a pace that we won't get incinerated?

By survival of the planets you mean still mass's just moving around the sun?

Hey Dave is there a chance that jupiter will ignite i remeber reading a year or so ago that jupiter isnt too far from being able to sustain itself as a sun, would this be possible in the event of our supernova?

Guest tartar
When the sun burns out approx 5B years time can any of the solar system planets survive? or will they all go with the sun?....us.2u :mad::cool:

AFAIK, the so-called icy giants will not be swallowed...