As a species in our current state, do we have the capacity to fully grasp what nature is?

koti

This question rattles in my head for a long time now. Is it possible there are milions of layers uppon layers of "realities" and we are barely scratching the surface of the first layer with our current understanding of the universe? Is it possible that each of those milions of "realities" have their own distinct physical laws completely incompatible with each other? On one hand this might seem a little depressing but when you think about it from evolutionary and existencial point of view this might be an atractive concept. If we would find the "holy grail" of physics and understand everything that is, was and will be we would loose our curiosity and essencialy our main drive to survive as a species. Is it possible that our current tools for understanding are so crude that our search for quantum gravity for example is as useless as explaining to an ant what LHC is? I wonder what are your thoughts on this.

In the Leonard Susskind

interpretation of Multiverse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

there is infinite amount of universes with various physical constants..

In infinite amount there are some that physical constants are "good enough" for making universes which exist longer than picosecond/milisecond/second/billions of second/etc.etc...

(regardless whether I agree with him)

If we would find the "holy grail" of physics and understand everything that is, was and will be we would loose our curiosity and essencialy our main drive to survive as a species.

If you know everything, you don't live, you exist, exist forever..

You could find reason to exist, to learn other less experienced life forms.. ;)

(if you need to)

Edited by Sensei

In the Leonard Susskind

interpretation of Multiverse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

there is infinite amount of universes with various physical constants..

In infinite amount there are some that physical constants are "good enough" for making universes which exist longer than picosecond/milisecond/second/billions of second/etc.etc...

(regardless whether I agree with him)

I'm familiar (somewhat) with the multiverse concept. Its so far fetched that I don't even know if I agree with it or not. It is fascinating though.

To clarify my brain rattle - Susskind uses the same tools as everybody else to formulate his concepts (I realy like the guy btw) and what I'm saying is that maybe these tools are incredibly crude if we were to see the big picture one day. I mean look...we don't even know what gravity is exactly. We can precisly observe and measure the effects of it but everything colapses when we try to unify it with QM. Gravity...the so fundamental force of nature that literally everything around us is affected by it, and we dont know what it is. I read somewhere that emotional intelligence might bring better results in physics in the future.

If you know everything, you don't live, you exist, exist forever..

You could find reason to exist, to learn other less experienced life forms.. ;)

(if you need to)

I don't think that knowing everything has to be equal to being able to "do" everything therefore I don't think its equal to being able to exist forever.

Reasons for existing is another thing and it depends on personal characteristics. You could have a know-all "god" whos a grumpy asshole or a chill know-all guy who flies around to say hi to other forms of life. This doesnt affect the human nature though...we are built to explore and curiosity is the main drive. That drive would be gone.

To the Mods:

I'm unable to delete nor edit my double post above (I posted it from Safari on iOS)
Is there a time buffer for being able to edit posts? I'm posting from Chrome on Win 10 now and I'm not able to edit nor delete the above.
Sory for the mess, I will be grateful if one of the mods could delete my double post above or in case I'm an idiot explain to me how I could do it myself.