Is being gay genetic or a lifestyle choice?

ModernArtist25

What's your opinion on this? And why do you feel that way?

Provide facts if you can :)

1/ Why does it matter?

2/ Because it makes no difference to me.

3/ No point, how does a fact, in this case, change the above?

And if I were gay then:

1/ I don't care.

2/ Because I'm gay.

3/ No point, how does a fact, in this case, change the above?

Edited by dimreepr

• 1 month later...

1. The question would be better phrased to cover the other options - environmental factors, developmental factors (in utero & later), epigenetics, culture, & possibly more.

2. We've got the genetics of eye colour sorted out but practically everything else is complex. This, I reckon, is because evolution has worked out that there's a balance between hard coding everything in genes ( so benefiting from inherited characteristics) & being very adaptable (nothing is fixed) but passing nothing on.

So the answer is that it's not 'either /or'.

1. The question would be better phrased to cover the other options - environmental factors, developmental factors (in utero & later), epigenetics, culture, & possibly more.

2. We've got the genetics of eye colour sorted out but practically everything else is complex. This, I reckon, is because evolution has worked out that there's a balance between hard coding everything in genes ( so benefiting from inherited characteristics) & being very adaptable (nothing is fixed) but passing nothing on.

So the answer is that it's not 'either /or'.

Yes, that's true. The OP is likely presenting a question that assumes it is a dichotomy when it isn't.

Edited by StringJunky