Michael Moore almost died, Got pneumonia was in ICU

nec209

Michael Moore almost died.

Got pneumonia was in ICU.

Michael Moore could have died last week: “Trying to get back to just breathing is enough of a burden”

http://www.salon.com/2016/02/10/michael_moore_could_have_died_last_week_trying_to_get_back_to_just_breathing_is_enough_of_a_burden/

How could some one this young get pneumonia? People that get pneumonia are old people and people with weaken immune system. And people in hospital or nursing home are more likely to get it

The public normaily do not get pneumonia same with young people.

How could this be? Could be that being overweight and a sedentary lifestyle have some thing to do with it? Or that he has other health problems?

I got pneumonia in Navy Basic(18), set me back a couple of weeks. Not limited to a specific age group, link below has more on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_pneumonia

Temperature, stress and lodging situation; are what I noted as playing a role.

Multiple possible causes, so I think it is more a matter of whether your immune system is currently holding it at bay or not.

Edited by Endy0816

I wouldn't say he's particularly young. Michael Moore is very overweight and this could have been a factor. Some studies have shown that having type 2 diabetes will increase your chances of being hospitalised with pneumonia between 25-75% 'possibly because of the harmful effects of hyperglycaemia on the immune system, increased risk of aspiration due to diabetic gastroparesis, and impaired lung function," explain Dr Jette B. Kornum and colleagues of the Aarhus University Hospital in Denmark.' http://www.ersnet.org/component/flexicontent/items/item/4223-beware-those-extra-pounds-obesity-in-men-raises-risk-of-being-hospitalised-with-pneumonia.html

I don't know if Moore has any obesity related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, however, this could be one of the possible contributing factors.

There are many types of pneumoniae caused by different organisms. Streptococcal is what you get vaccinated for over 65 but here are many other types. For example, Mycoplasma is the canonical atypical pneumonia associated with younger people. Chlamydia and Legionella are others. Severe influenza that progresses to the lower respiratory tract can also cause viral pneumonia, some fatal even for the younger patients like SARS Coronavirus, bird flu and other orthomyxoviruses.