Are Dreams Meaningful?

DrmDoc

In the spirit of "Discuss life, school, work, anything", I've opened this discussion here because, as I've experienced, few opinions on this subject are actually based on science or serious study. As far as the science, precious few believe that such evidence even exist. After 30 years of study, even I question some of the science on the meaningful nature of dream content. I've changed my opinion and perspective on the relevance of dreams many times myself over the years. I could and have answered this question for myself but I'm interested in your opinion, sincerely. Perhaps you believe that dreams and dreaming are not a subject for scientific study or discussion and that such is best relegated to the slight of mind and gullible. I'm sure I've been framed as both for breaching this discussion. But I will make no judgement of you and will offer an apology if my comments suggests otherwise. This is not about dream interpretation but whether you think dreams are important and should be understood. I can tell you now, knowing what I know, that my feelings on the subject are mixed. So, what are your thoughts?

Edited by DrmDoc

I’m intrigued by my dreams and often ponder if there are any meaningful insights to be had.

In my youth I would perceive some sort of threat and struggle to wake myself, recognising it as a dream, but on awakening I would realise that I’m still in the dream and again struggle to awaken, this would continue multiple times before I actually wake up; any meaning still eludes me.

When I was with my now ex-partner my dreams tended to be about her indifference or deliberately favouring another suitor over me; the meaning seems fairly obvious.

Now my dreams tend to be about a journey to somewhere I know well and know the way too but, either, come across multiple, unexplainable, obstacles or open a door and walk into an unrecognised environment; I think I have a handle on this type of dream but I’m not sure.

The interesting thing about the above dreams is that I learnt to recognise them as dreams in the dream, which would not only relax me but I’d even start to analyse potential meaning.

My dog has recently had pups and when they were only a day old they displayed the type of leg twitching and odd noise like their mother does when she seems to dream; but what could they be dreaming of since they’re blind, a day old and can’t walk?

The interesting thing about the above dreams is that I learnt to recognise them as dreams in the dream, which would not only relax me but I’d even start to analyse potential meaning.

My dog has recently had pups and when they were only a day old they displayed the type of leg twitching and odd noise like their mother does when she seems to dream; but what could they be dreaming of since they’re blind, a day old and can’t walk?

I believe you have described what's called lucid dreaming and I am intrigued by the experience as well. Lucid dreams--awareness that one is dreaming while within a dream--are pleasurable for my ability to experience the impossible within them (e.g., standing on the sun, breathing underwater, levitation) and fascinating for how they allow access to information impossible to otherwise obtain. The experience to me is like looking at one's infinite reflection while standing between two mirrors. The question of whether twitching, day old, blind pups are dreaming is fascinating as well. Some researchers believe that other animals, particularly canines, dream as we do and I am aware from study that congenitally blind individuals also dream. The question with newborn pups is whether they have accumulated enough sensory data to construct non-visual sensory content. I think, overall, we would have to admit that other animals experience meaningful dreams if we believe ours are. I welcome your further thoughts.

Edited by DrmDoc

I think lucid dreaming may fall into two different categories, recognition and influence; what I described above can be described as recognition, but on occasion I am able to direct or influence the dream for my pleasure; what meaning we can take from the experience is unclear, though I’d love to know.

I think lucid dreaming may fall into two different categories, recognition and influence; what I described above can be described as recognition, but on occasion I am able to direct or influence the dream for my pleasure; what meaning we can take from the experience is unclear, though I’d love to know.

I understand the science of dreaming and that science suggests to me that dreams of all types are as meaningful as the thoughts we experience throughout the day. During a typical day, my thoughts may wander from serious to whimsy as do, I think, most dream experiences. I think the question for most people is whether dreams have any real, practical value. Some say the reason why we forget them so easily is because they don't have any real value. Although the reason why we forget them is tied to the evolved nature of memory, that argument is very convincing. However, my personal experience suggests that occasionally, infrequently, dream content may have real and tangible value beyond what I believe most people think. What fascinates me most is how this unconscious experience allows us access to potentially profitable insights impossible to know because of the random nature of certain experiences. The closest conscious experience to this is akin to having inside information on a stock offering. Indeed, it is a fascinating study.

I've had a couple of lucid dreams where I've become aware I was dreaming and was able to influence what happened to one extent or another.

I'm still not entirely sure whether that is really a qualitatively different experience or whether I was simply dreaming that I was having a lucid dream.

I've had a couple of lucid dreams where I've become aware I was dreaming and was able to influence what happened to one extent or another.

I'm still not entirely sure whether that is really a qualitatively different experience or whether I was simply dreaming that I was having a lucid dream.

Although I find this type of dreaming enthralling, I believe it does have risks. I recall watching a interview with Stephen Laberge, who is a leading researcher in lucid dreaming. During that interview, he periodically engaged what appeared to me to be a nervous, repetitive motion. When asked about it by the interviewer, Stephen acknowledged that it was his way of assuring himself that his current experiences are real and not a dream. His behavior suggested to me that his intense study of lucid dreaming has led him to doubt and continually question his reality. In my view, his behavior suggested the real mental danger in frequently engaging this type of dreaming--who wants to live in constant doubt of one's reality?

My lucid dreams have certain cues that I've learnt, through repetition, to recognise; reality doesn't, for me, present the same type of repetition and the difference removes my doubt.

Mine as well; however, I think Stephen's likely issues developed from his intentional efforts to enter this type of dreaming frequently. I think it best that the experience arises naturally without a directed mental effort that some researchers advocate. I think most of our dreams arise from our psychology and efforts to influence them could adversely affect that psychology especially when so little, I believe, is understood about them.

Maybe or maybe he was just psychotic.

You know, I was going to use psychosis to describe my impression of his condition but thought better of it. Although not a diagnosis, it does give the appearance of an issue I would address medically if I experienced the same.