To anyone who had read Enders Game- Ansible vs Blackhole

fang3412

ok to people that havent read enders game i really recommend it if not well thats too bad i guess but i cant force you to do anything really.

also to people who need reminding or havent read the book

an ansible is a device in the enders game universe that can send information pretty much if not simply instantly

for example a message by laser to someone 20 light years away would take 20ish years to get to the person no? heres where the ansible kicks in. with an ansible you can simply send a message and have in instantly arrive at the destination without delay

so onto the question

if someone jumped into a black hole and crossed the event horizon with an ansible that can transmit information faster than light and tried to send information would this information be stopped and taked by the blackhole or could it possibly make its way out?

my thoughts on this were intially that it actually might pull it off. Information from an ansible might have a chance to get out of a blackhole. then my thoughts wandered to the fact that the ansible is still a machine and would probably break or something of the sort. man this is such a disjointed thought but those are my guesses so now its your turn :P

yeah so i'd just like to hear your thought on the subject

ps if you want to just put down any thoughts you have on black holes or stuff like ansibles

...heres where the ansible kicks in. with an ansible you can simply send a message and have in instantly arrive at the destination without delay

That would break causality and so it seems to be an impossible machine. Without some proposed mechanisms it is hard to say much more.

if someone jumped into a black hole and crossed the event horizon with an ansible that can transmit information faster than light and tried to send information would this information be stopped and taked by the blackhole or could it possibly make its way out?

So let us think about Schwarzschild black holes. We know that there are no time-like or null curves that start inside the region bounded by the event horizon that point into the future and pass through the event horizon. So no massive particle or massless particle (say light) can escape a black hole once past the horizon.

The only way out of this is to consider space-like curves. Such curves do not correspond to the paths taken by massive or massless particles. They would correspond to something more like a tachyon, which we think are not realised in nature, or for sure are very unstable.

Again, without any proposed mechanism we cannot say much more than this with regards to your question.

yeah so i'd just like to hear your thought on the subject

You now have my initial thought on the subject.

It's pretty useless to ask how physics would behave when considering an object that violates the laws of physics. What answer do you want? You can justify it.

You want to be able to send the information? Then the ansible can do it, because it can violate the laws of physics. You want to not be able to send the information? Then just say the black hole wins.

ok to people that havent read enders game i really recommend it if not well thats too bad i guess but i cant force you to do anything really.

Yeah I really liked the book but if you remember the ansible was technology that was stolen from aliens and the characters had no idea how it worked. Also remember how the entire alien race was controlled by an alien queen bee through telepathy?? that wasn't explained either.

Edited by fiveworlds