Beards antibacterial properties

tantalus

Interesting. The more I read about this stuff the idea of "germs" is too all embracing and blunt that bacteria are 'bad'. Really, it boils down to certain bacteria being pathogenic when they are in the wrong location on/in the body. Perhaps we should understand our relationship better with our microbiome and learrn to control the various bacterial populations by judiciously applying the correct commensal species in the right place instead of trying to nuke everything;.

Numerically, the space we each occupy is more 'mico-organism' than 'human'.

Edited by StringJunky

Interesting. The more I read about this stuff the idea of "germs" is too all embracing and blunt that bacteria are 'bad'. Really, it boils down to certain bacteria being pathogenic when they are in the wrong location on/in the body. Perhaps we should understand our relationship better with our microbiome and learrn to control the various bacterial populations by judiciously applying the correct commensal species in the right place instead of trying to nuke everything;.

Numerically, the space we each occupy is more 'mico-organism' than 'human'.

That actually has been well-recognized and that is why fecal-transplantations (among other things) are being done. That being said, it is usually a bit too late to try to tweak biota when pathogens have settled in and started doing damage. Another thing of note is that obviously there are pathogenicity factors that can make otherwise harmless bacteria pretty invasive, so that it is not purely a wrong strain in the wrong place issue.

That actually has been well-recognized and that is why fecal-transplantations (among other things) are being done. That being said, it is usually a bit too late to try to tweak biota when pathogens have settled in and started doing damage. Another thing of note is that obviously there are pathogenicity factors that can make otherwise harmless bacteria pretty invasive, so that it is not purely a wrong strain in the wrong place issue.

Yes.OK. I shall look that up: pathogenicity factors.

Can 'microbiome' and 'microbiota' be used interchangeably or is there a difference?

Edited by StringJunky

Can 'microbiome' and 'microbiota' be used interchangeably or is there a difference?

From the heritage of the terms: level of organization addressed. Like team and players, forest and trees. Note the one is singular, the other plural - swapping that enlightens.

Prediction: That disappears with casual use - the way "troops" and "soldiers" sort of merged. So you have to read for meaning.

Actually the microbiome refers to the enumeration of microbes plus their genome whereas the microbiota just refers to the taxa. I.e. the "biome" has a slightly different definition than in ecological use (though environmental microbiologists may use it different again). Due to technological changes it has become more muddled up, especially with the rise of metagenomics (which, in turn has two uses, one of which I consider silly).

I.e. looking at literature you may see that newer publications they use the terms interchangeable, wheras in older they are more likely to be different.

Edited by CharonY