Latest Composition, "Endless Night"

Daedalus

so was the inspiration

William Blake,

Agatha Christie,

Jim Morrison

other than the above

Good book, great song, better poem - will listen to your composition and see how it matches with its namesakes

Actually Imatfaal, I was feeling a little sad over the weekend. So, I wrote this song. For myself, writing music is better than any therapy I could get. ^_^

Edited by Daedalus

After listening to the song for several hours, I realized that it needed to be softer is certain areas and that the piano part needed to stand out more. So, I made several adjustments and modifications, and have arrived at a very beautiful recording. Enjoy!!!

The first impression from your 1st music that I heard (not this one), was "no chord!".

And here it is again. Only one key press at a time. No chord. So it's not accident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(music)

Just to inspire you for experimentation, not to discourage.

+2 :)

Hehehe... Thanks for the comment Sensei, but there are actual chord structures in all of my songs. ^_^ I realize that you are referring to how a single instrument, such as the piano part, isn't playing what we normally refer to as chords, but the left hand is actually playing broken chords or arpeggios. When you combine all of the different instruments, the harmonies and melody do create chordal structures. This is because I write each part / voice for the instruments using different modes. Anyways, I'll see what I can do to write you something where the harmonies are played in chords on a single instrument. ;) +1 to you for noticing!

Edited by Daedalus

Hehehe... Thanks for the comment Sensei, but there are actual chord structures in all of my songs. ^_^ I realize that you are referring to how a single instrument, such as the piano part, isn't playing what we normally refer to as chords, but the left hand is actually playing broken chords or arpeggios. When you combine all of the different instruments, the harmonies and melody do create chordal structures. This is because I write each part / voice for the instruments using different modes. Anyways, I'll see what I can do to write you something where the harmonies are played in chords on a single instrument. ;) +1 to you for noticing!

Well, since you provided notes it's very easy to notice.. ;)

Chord that I am talking about are visible as one note above other note, and in the most of cases 3rd note above them. Like C,E,G.

Played by single hand, of single person. Although, you can double them, using 2nd hand. Or triple/quad if two persons play simultaneously.

post-100882-0-43396900-1447289867_thumb.jpg

(this example has two key presses at a time, mostly)

Do you have the real keyboard piano?

Try this:

C,E,G (simultaneously by three fingers at a time)

C,E,G

C,E,G

D,F,A

D,F,A

D,F,A

H,D,F (H key on the left of initial C above)

H,D,F

H,D,F

A,C,E

A,C,E

A,C,E

Edited by Sensei

Well, since you provided notes it's very easy to notice.. ;)

Chord that I am talking about are visible as one note above other note, and in the most of cases 3rd note above them. Like C,E,G.

Played by single hand, of single person. Although, you can double them, using 2nd hand. Or triple/quad if two persons play simultaneously.

attachicon.gifdepositphotos_26310853-Seamless-pattern-of-music-stave-notes.jpg

(this example has two key presses at a time, mostly)

Do you have the real keyboard piano?

Try this:

C,E,G (simultaneously by three fingers at a time)

C,E,G

C,E,G

D,F,A

D,F,A

D,F,A

H,D,F (H key on the left of initial C above)

H,D,F

H,D,F

A,C,E

A,C,E

A,C,E

Either you are messing with me... or you think I don't know what chords are lol... :PArpeggios are chords.

An "arpeggiated chord" means a chord which is "spread", i. e., the notes are not played exactly at the same time, but are spread out. Arpeggiated chords are often used in harp and piano music. An arpeggiated chord may be written with a squiggly vertical line in front of the chord. It is spread from the lowest to the highest note. Occasionally, composers such as Béla Bartók have asked for them to be played from top to bottom. This is shown by adding an arrow pointing down.

I was just referring to how those chords are played sequentially and not at the same time as in the way you are talking about. Standard chords are comprised of three notes separated by intervals of a third - minor third or major third in any combination e.g Augmented chord: M3 + M3, Major chord: M3 + m3, Minor: m3 + M3, or Diminished: m3 + m3. Special chords, such as Major 7th chords, contain an interval that is not found in standard chords.

I also gave you credit for noticing that I didn't write any non-broken chords for a single instrument (even with the sheet music). However, the composition as whole has chordal structure and we can identify the chords played through the piece. Basically... chords are just various harmonies that accompany the melody. The different harmony structure to chords are actually model compositions of scales. The different parts of the composition could be played by a single instrument and, even though the parts can share the same note, there are parts where they form chords.

Also, my keyboard died 6 years ago and I don't have a replacement. So, all of the music I write is from what I hear in my mind.

ps... I just noticed you typed H,D,F... there is no H only A - G. So, it's A,D,F, which is a D minor chord in 2nd inversion :D

Edited by Daedalus

Either you are messing with me... or you think I don't know what chords are lol... :PArpeggios are chords.

Sorry.

No.

I didn't mess with you. I never mess with any body.

Rather I think we misunderstood each other. We're from different languages countries. Have to translate everything back and forth.

That's why I wanted to explain what I meant in the first post by "lack of chords".

What I meant is triads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triad_(music)

In my interpretation Arpeggios are not true/full chords. Even in wikipedia you have:

"An alternative translation of this term is "broken chord". "

Wiki page of Chords:

"In tonal Western classical music, the most frequently encountered chords are triads, "

Interpret my post #5 as "you don't have triad chords".

My wikipedia in my language in triad page has "triad is the simplest chord"

Major chord is also referring to 3 sounds played simultaneously without delays

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_chord

ps... I just noticed you typed H,D,F... there is no H only A - G. So, it's A,D,F, which is a D minor chord in 2nd inversion :D

What do you meant by this?

H is button on keyboard/piano, on the left of C..

post-100882-0-42044500-1447296433_thumb.png

Edited by Sensei

Sorry.

No.

I didn't mess with you. I never mess with any body.

Rather I think we misunderstood each other. We're from different languages countries. Have to translate everything back and forth.

That's why I wanted to explain what I meant in the first post by "lack of chords".

What I meant is triads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triad_(music)

In my interpretation Arpeggios are not true/full chords. Even in wikipedia you have:

"An alternative translation of this term is "broken chord". "

Wiki page of Chords:

"In tonal Western classical music, the most frequently encountered chords are triads, "

Interpret my post #5 as "you don't have triad chords".

My wikipedia in my language in triad page has "triad is the simplest chord"

Major chord is also referring to 3 sounds played simultaneously without delays

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_chord

It's ok. I've actually studied music theory for years and, yes, standard chords are called triads. However, once you get into interval studies, you quit thinking of music as blocks of triads. You begin to analyze the harmonic structures of chords and write harmonies that flow with the melody. If you were only writing music for a single instrument, then you would see all the notes that form those chords. However, I write music for multiple instruments, and you are correct that my music when printed from Pro Tools shows a single note for each voice or track. This hides the chords from you while allowing me to mix each harmony, or part of the chord, for multiple instruments. In the case of strings, I use 3 - 4 string tracks in the song that are dedicated to them. So, most of the time the strings do play chords but, when I render the sheet music in ProTools, it doesn't recombine those tracks into a single staff. So, what you see in my music are the notes being played by different tracks where each track can have different instruments or the same one. Pro Tools allows me to assign four instruments to each track :D

Here is a screen shot of the piano roll for a song I'm working on right now. Each track has a single series of notes that are played out but by multiple instruments. I use the piano roll to do melody, harmony, and chord analysis for my music. It allows us to easily identify dissonance and remove or add it pending on the music we are writing while maintaining chordal harmonies.

post-51329-0-34665400-1447296806_thumb.png

H is button on keyboard/piano, on the left of C..

attachicon.gif800px-Scales_and_keyboard.png

Oh I see lol. In English, the H represented in that image is actually a B.

post-51329-0-14752900-1447297481_thumb.jpg

Letter names give a label to each letter of the C major scale: C D E F G A B. Notes can be sharpened or flattened; between D and E comes a note called either DSharp.svg ("D sharp") or EFlat.svg ("E flat"). Even more confusingly, E can be called DDoublesharpsign.jpg ("D double-sharp"), and D can be called EDoubleflat.png ("E double-flat")! For now, you need only know that a DSharp.svg and an EFlat.svg are enharmonically equivalent (that is, they have the same pitch, but serve a different diatonic function) in the simplified tuning most commonly used today. You will learn about diatonic function later.

These are the letter names used in English, Dutch, and possibly a few other languages. However, Germany, Scandinavia (such as Iceland, Denmark, Sweden) and Slavic countries have another system: their C major scale is C D E F G A H. Their H corresponds to our B. They also use the letter B, to mean the note we call B flat. They do not use special letters for any other notes, however, for instance, what we call a C sharp they would call "Cis", "Ciss" or "Cís" (depending on the language), which literally means "C sharp". We will not concern ourselves with these differences as this alternate system is almost never encountered in English language texts. Some other countries don't use letters for notes at all, but instead the fixed-doh solfege system, where "Do" or "Ut" always means the note C. This is an inflexible system unlike the moveable-doh one used in English, where "Do" (or "Doh") can be any pitch.

Learned something new today ^_^

Edited by Daedalus

BTW,
Cis is here often denoted as C#
Dis D#
Fis F#
Gis G#
Ais A#

post-100882-0-36444000-1447299552.gif

I have Yamaha PSR-S500,

You can hear it f.e. here

Bought it ~10 years ago for $1000.

Now you should be able to get it much cheaper.

Or better quality model.

While choosing model pay special attention to how you will plug it to computer. Now standard is USB. Keyboard has to send information about what key you pressed on keyboard to application on the computer, which will record them (as notes, sampling is yet another possibility). That're important features for composers.

Edited by Sensei