PSU heat

PSU = power supply unit

I understand that resistance in wires causes heat, I can understand how a processor generates soo much heat, I can understand that a PSU produces quite a bit of heat...

What I don't get is that no matter what I do the PSU fans always belt out warm air!

I mean, what the heck is going on in there that produces sooooo much heat?

The transformer gets quite hot inside. That's constantly giving out heat all of the time, plus all the larger capacitors and things like that. If you take one apart, you'll see why :)

I've got one apart on my floor!!!!

Except for the high voltage caps, I took those out and put them in my electronics box thingy!!!

Sure transformers and I suppose the high current going through high voltage caps would produce heat, but I am amazed at quite how much there is... normally transformers do not get that hot, I can't imagine the two 240V caps to produce enough heat to match the amount coming outta the PSU!

Although I suppose logically they are the main two candidates?

PSU = power supply unit

What I don't get is that no matter what I do the PSU fans always belt out warm air!

I mean' date=' what the heck is going on in there that produces [u']sooooo[/u] much heat?

That is a good thing. Heat has to do with efficientcy. Higher efficientcy PSU like the Antrc Phantom 5 produce less heat, make better use of electricity. Most of the heat comes from the approx 6 MOSFETs in the PSU.

psu4.jpg

It's interesting that a really old PSU I have only has 4 MOSFETs, anyway, I have worked with MOSFETs before, but they do not produce much heat... I would have assumed it's the high current going through them which produces this heat?

And I suppose its entirely logical to say that more expensive ones don't produce as much waste energy (in the form of thermal [aka heat] energy).

Well the MOSTFET I used most recently was running at about 1A, which is quite a lot for a battery powered circuit, I placed a small heat sink on it.

50A sure as hell would produce a lot of heat.

It was a r/c test thingy, I intended to mod the output using a relay but the circuit never worked, and it was 1.5A, oh well, the ferrite rods are useful!

Design found here:

http://www.redcircuits.com/Page55.htm

(It's Q2 on the transmitter)

he he, hot resistors... I just burnt out 3 resistors in this circuit because the current was too high! I ended up just using a wire!

And as for resistors in the PSU, looking in the one behind me, I couldn't find many large resistance resistors, I mean, the biggest I could see was 200Ω, it was rated 5W.... oh yeah, and a red red black gold, that'd be, wait, thats only 22Ω anyway!

Why would you want a large resistor inside a PSU? I mean, that'd be a waste of power!

Well there would have been large caps....

As Lance said even new PSUs supply a lot of current.

Maybe the older components couldn't withstand the high current... at the same time this one I'm looking at now is about 10 years old, I've seen inside newer ones too, never really noticed any big resistors, definately not in this 10yr old one behind me because I've just been looking!