Online Ethics

Jagella

One of the most interesting and perhaps disturbing issues I'm aware of is that of online behavior. I've witnessed and experienced firsthand a lot of bullying. I can honestly say that I make an effort to discuss issues sensibly and courteously both online and offline. I discuss and debate online because it gives me an opportunity to intelligently exchange ideas with other like-minded people and with those who may disagree, or at least that's what I hope to do.

Allow me to post an example of a recent effort on my part. On a "science" forum (not this one) another member started a thread about the nature of mathematics. Is it invented or discovered? I take the stance that math is essentially invented. I soon found that my opinion is very unpopular with most of the other members in that forum. I made my best efforts to substantiate my position logically and with evidence, but I was told that what I was arguing was "lunacy." I met few if any intelligent counterarguments. Even the moderator told me to "stop posting crap" (whatever that means).

So why do people act like this? Some people posit that the anonymity and distance of the internet makes people more likely to speak their minds. Other people might simply enjoy being rude to others. Since ideas are exchanged online, it is inevitable that many people will encounter opinions that they find objectionable. Many seem to find those who disagree with them to be objectionable.

So how should we act online? I might ask everyone to be intelligent and courteous, and I hope that isn't asking too much.

Jagella

Many people labor under the delusion that all opinions are equally valid, that all have merit. It's just not true.

Not knowing all sides of your particular argument at another site (which we're really not interested in hearing about; we'd much rather you start a thread here to talk about your idea), it wouldn't really be ethical to talk about the ethics of it. It's a one-sided equation for us.

Civility should win the day, always. How we behave affects the actions of others. Here, we don't shy from attacking ideas, but we try not to attack the person who has the idea. Calling your idea crap doesn't violate any of our rules, as long as one can further support why they think so. The other side of that bargain is that you don't invest too much of yourself in your idea so the two are inextricable in your mind. We need to be able to criticize your explanation without you feeling personally criticized.

Disagreeing with you should not be seen as discourteous. You understand that, right?

Yes, but I also prefer responses that are intelligent, honest, and relevant. Many people just rant.

Disagreeing with you should not be viewed as such a False Dilemma. It's possible you might be wrong as well as being told so in an intelligent, honest, and relevant manner.

• 1 month later...

i don't understand why people post mean things online, I could speculate its ignorance and unintelligence but I think hopefully not that many people are that stupid and insensitive in person.I think people are either trying to get attention or they are trying to get their frustration out because nobody will know who they are in life. i tend to ignore anything mean online, its much harder to ignore when its said in your face. i dont say anything mean online.I never want to hurt anyones feelings even if its virtual.