help for science project

hafiza

Hey every body.. peace be upon you.

well i have to make a science project for our university science fair. i am thinking of making Discharge tube.

can anyone guide me? how to prepare it... have you experience of it?

or any other idea?/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey every body.. peace be upon you.

well i have to make a science project for our university science fair. i am thinking of making Discharge tube.

can anyone guide me? how to prepare it... have you experience of it?

or any other idea?/

Which gas do you want to showcase in discharge tube?

Each gas has slightly different color, spectrum lines of element, revealing transitions.

Hydrogen? Oxygen?

Then you need to know how to produce them, like here, while electrolysis of water:

(don't use typical Gold ring, as it's 14 or 18 carat Gold, with 58.333% and 75% Gold abundance, the secondary metal will react and destroy your ring)

Maybe Carbon Dioxide gas?

From reaction between Sodium Bicarbonate and almost any acid (Acetic Acid is cheap and widely available).

Once you have round-bottom flask filled by gas of your choice, you need power supply of high voltage.

It could be Van de Graaff generator, Cockcroft-Walton generator. Depends on what you have at hand.

And put wires to up-side-down placed flask, in such way they wont be connected, wet, and don't introduce Oxygen to flask (especially important with Hydrogen).

Decreasing pressure of gas in tube/flask, would help to reduce needed voltage to start discharge.

Once you have ready discharge tube, you can pass light from it through prism, and show spectral lines on some white screen, calibrated and with scale 400nm to 700nm.

Edited by Sensei