Dissolution of NaOH in H2O

Romix

It's because of the enthalpy of NaOH + H2O -> NaO- + H3O+ is negative. I can't remember the specific values for this but the principles lies behind the Gibbs free energy equation, you can learn a bit more about it here: https://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/tutorialnotefiles/gibbs.htm

But essentially the principles are when a system is in a higher set of energy to begin with (the reactants) and ends with a lower energy system afterwards (the products) you get an exothermic reaction. When you dissolute a compound in water it forms complexes with the water depending on how electronegative that compound is the reaction can be minor or large.

It's because of the enthalpy of NaOH + H2O -> NaO- + H3O+ is negative. I can't remember the specific values for this but the principles lies behind the Gibbs free energy equation, you can learn a bit more about it here: https://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/tutorialnotefiles/gibbs.htm

But essentially the principles are when a system is in a higher set of energy to begin with (the reactants) and ends with a lower energy system afterwards (the products) you get an exothermic reaction. When you dissolute a compound in water it forms complexes with the water depending on how electronegative that compound is the reaction can be minor or large.

You might want to reconsider that equation. NaOH is absolutely, 100% not an acid.

You might want to reconsider that equation. NaOH is absolutely, 100% not an acid.

Woops, yeah you're right, I didn't really think that one through, I was more concentrating on the principle but yes, NaOH doesn't donate H at all. Thanks for the correction! Sorry about that :wacko:

Edited by Aminoxyl

I understood the entropy comment, as far as I am aware (and this is from basic pre-university chemistry that I was taught) entropy is the order state of a system. A system with a high amount of entropy for would be a disordely system with particles vibrating a lot. For example an ice-cube could be a system of low entropy and the water it melts into of higher entropy. Is that not correct?

P.S. I got rid of it now to avoid any upset/confusion. I understood it wasn't balanced.

Edited by Aminoxyl