Human cloning

petrushka.googol

I think introducing new brain cells might be the better option. Not terribly hard. We know it happens naturally, whether or not we can manage it deliberately yet. More practical than dealing with all the problems and risks involved with a brain transplant.

@Fiveworlds: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/AnimalCloning/ucm055512.htm#Myth6

and note we can lengthen the cell's telomeres prior to starting the whole process. They don't always or probably often bother, but speaking for myself, if I were shopping for a body upgrade I would go for the full package.

That statement from the FDA is a bit over the top. We have only just succeeded in cloning mice that do not suffer from shortened life-span - to call it a "Myth of..." as if it is palpably and obviously false is an exaggeration. Scientists are perplexed over the cloned cows that have increased telomeres - just as much as they are over Dolly; it is unsettled science and to pass off a concern as a "Myth of ... " is suspect.

That statement from the FDA is a bit over the top.

I just thought the link provided a good overview. I'm sure they published it mainly to ease fears and that impacted the wording.

We have only just succeeded in cloning mice that do not suffer from shortened life-span - to call it a "Myth of..." as if it is palpably and obviously false is an exaggeration. Scientists are perplexed over the cloned cows that have increased telomeres - just as much as they are over Dolly; it is unsettled science and to pass off a concern as a "Myth of ... " is suspect.

Not a huge puzzle. One of the subsequent cells used telomerase to lengthen its telomere and passed the longer telomere on. Now why some do this and others do not and how that relates to development in general is probably well worth studying. I just see telomere length as a solved issue as far as cloning itself is concerned.

Depending on planned lifespan of the clone and on how old the original is, you choose to lengthen or not prior to starting. If you are talking about cattle which are going to end up on the table in a couple of years it might not be worth it. If you are talking about a human it is probably worth the trouble.

The bigger issue is likely the DNA not being on quite the right step of the process. You see similar issues with mammal parthenogenesis.

Edited by Endy0816

• 1 month later...

I saw an article up today about Sergio Canavero from the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, wants the surgery to be used to help extend the lives of people who have suffered degeneration of the muscles and nerves or those who have advanced cancer. Talking about the idea of human head transplants in relation to the experiment I mentioned earlier http://news.sky.com/story/1434435/surgeon-plans-first-human-head-transplant