Hair colour and d.o.b.

Function

Hi everyone

I've just noticed something:

Almost every blond guy I know was born in June-July-August.

Almost none of the brown-haired guys were born in those months.

So I've been thinking: is there, perhaps, besides the normals genetics caused by the 2 parents, a correlation between the date of birth of a person and the amount of pigment/melanine that he/she has/develops during the first days/months of his/her life?

I know hair colour is caused purely by genetics, but could the months in which the child has been begotten (at moment of coitus) have an influence in those genetics? Perhaps something that enlarges the chance of a child with genotype aa is somewhat larger during these months while both parents have Aa, or one Aa and the other aa? (i.e. a higher dose of vit. D)

Most interesting phenomenon...

There truly are a lot of people with blond hairs (or blue eyes! If they don't have blond hair, and yet were born in these months, they have blue eyes lol) so I was just wondering...

Thanks.

F.

Edited by Function

We would need more evidence than just the people you know before drawing any conclusions.

But if there were such a correlation and (remember, correlation doesn't imply causation) then an alternative hypothesis is that brown haired and blond haired parents are likely to have sex at different times of the year. Or are more fertile at different times of the year.

Edited by Strange