Nitrogen Tires topped off with air creating blowouts?

aprilxnichols

I work for a company that supplies Nitrogen to vendors. I've had to learn a lot about Nitrogen vs. Oxygen because of this. We also supply reimbursement for tire damage for some of our dealers as well. This year I've had a few people tell me that they experienced a blow out shortly after (about a week or two) after having a deflating tire topped off with oxygen. We receive a lot of claims, so I can only imagine the ones I didn't talk to personally. Is there something about potential damage to a tire and adding oxygen to nitrogen that makes this a volatile environment that would cause a blow-out? If so, can you explain? If not, is there something else that could explain this phenomenon?

While my chemistry is, admittedly, not very advanced, the last time I checked, the air was mostly nitrogen anyway - all the nitrogen inflations do is replace the remaining 22-ish percent that isn't nitrogen with nitrogen. Since the atmosphere is normally volitile, I would assume that mixing a little atmosphere with nitrogen wouldn't change that.

Note this is based on the assumption that when you say oxygen you mean the normal atmospheric mix. If you're filling tires with pure O2, then yes, you may have an issue as O2 is fairly combustable.

Edited by Greg H.

I work for a company that supplies Nitrogen to vendors. I've had to learn a lot about Nitrogen vs. Oxygen because of this. We also supply reimbursement for tire damage for some of our dealers as well. This year I've had a few people tell me that they experienced a blow out shortly after (about a week or two) after having a deflating tire topped off with oxygen. We receive a lot of claims, so I can only imagine the ones I didn't talk to personally. Is there something about potential damage to a tire and adding oxygen to nitrogen that makes this a volatile environment that would cause a blow-out? If so, can you explain? If not, is there something else that could explain this phenomenon?

Nitrogen alone is non reactive.

while Oxygen is very reactive.

Especially if you increase temperature (which is obviously happening inside of tire, because of braking, friction with road).

Asphalt road temperatures can be quite high also, especially in hot regions of Earth.

If you will leave f.e. Iron (or other metal) inside of chamber with N2 gas, after months or years nothing will happen to metal (most likely).

Oxygen sooner or later will create iron/metal oxides.

If you will pass current through iron wire inside of chamber with pure oxygen reaction will be immediate.

Remember also that in tire you have gas under high pressure.

Make a map where are living people that had problems. Ask them about environment temperature. Try finding "common denominator" for them.

Here is article (use translator) about whether it's worth to fill tires by nitrogen or air:

http://www.motofakty.pl/artykul/czy-warto-pompowac-opony-azotem.html

(Google translator)

"Nitrogen is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-flammable, free from moisture, chemically little active. In connection with its specific chemical properties at the beginning of the sixties of the last century, scientists from the laboratories of tire manufacturers have explored how it behaves inflated tire. Tests have proved that a tire filled with just this component of the air is gaining a lot longer for life. That is why since the decade began to use the technique of nitrogen tire inflation. The pioneers were the vehicles used in mining, aerospace, transportation of dangerous goods (such as. Flammable), and thus heavy vehicles. Nitrogen has long been filled tires wheels in Formula 1 cars which, because of the enormous speed are exposed, inter alia, to launch and fire. Pumping nitrogen is recommended primarily owners of car fleets, it helps significantly reduce operating costs."

Azot jest gazem bezwonnym, bezbarwnym, bez smaku, niepalnym, wolnym od wilgoci, mało aktywnym chemicznie. W związku ze swymi specyficznymi właściwościami chemicznymi już na początku lat sześćdziesiątych ubiegłego wieku naukowcy z laboratoriów producentów ogumienia sprawdzali, jak zachowuje się napompowana nim opona. Próby dowiodły, że opona wypełniona jedynie tym składnikiem powietrza zyskuje o wiele dłużej na żywotności. Dlatego właśnie już od tej dekady zaczęto stosować technikę pompowania kół azotem. Pionierami były pojazdy wykorzystywane w przemyśle wydobywczym, lotniczym, transporcie towarów niebezpiecznych (np. łatwopalnych), a więc pojazdy ciężkie. Azot od dawna wypełnia opony kół w autach Formuły 1, które z powodu ogromnych prędkości narażone są m.in. na wystrzelenie i pożar. Pompowanie azotem polecane jest przede wszystkim właścicielom flot samochodowych, gdyż pomaga w istotny sposób obniżać koszty eksploatacji.
Azot jest gazem bezwonnym, bezbarwnym, bez smaku, niepalnym, wolnym od wilgoci, mało aktywnym chemicznie. W związku ze swymi specyficznymi właściwościami chemicznymi już na początku lat sześćdziesiątych ubiegłego wieku naukowcy z laboratoriów producentów ogumienia sprawdzali, jak zachowuje się napompowana nim opona. Próby dowiodły, że opona wypełniona jedynie tym składnikiem powietrza zyskuje o wiele dłużej na żywotności. Dlatego właśnie już od tej dekady zaczęto stosować technikę pompowania kół azotem. Pionierami były pojazdy wykorzystywane w przemyśle wydobywczym, lotniczym, transporcie towarów niebezpiecznych (np. łatwopalnych), a więc pojazdy ciężkie. Azot od dawna wypełnia opony kół w autach Formuły 1, które z powodu ogromnych prędkości narażone są m.in. na wystrzelenie i pożar. Pompowanie azotem polecane jest przede wszystkim właścicielom flot samochodowych, gdyż pomaga w istotny sposób obniżać koszty eksploatacji.

Notice sentence

"Pumping nitrogen is dedicated especially to owners of cars equipped with steel wheels."

(iron in steel can react with oxygen).