A computational universe?

slayerpianoman

Perhaps some smarter folks could assist me in thinking through this, but I think something important from physics is missing. There are several theories out there that support the universe being made up of different possible units, one such example being information theory, where information is the basic unit of the universe. What makes these theories so interesting is their outside of the box nature, and a different approach to much of the same data that makes up more classical theories. That is not to say any such theories are proven, nor provable, but I think its a good thing physics is moving into new arenas. Perhaps it's not quite as scientific as we would desire it to be, but at some point, metaphorically speaking we are trying to view cells without a microscope, and we might not be able to explore beyond a certain point. Hence, what I say here might be speculation, but I did not post it to the speculation page because I think it's possible to support what I say with at least some evidence, and I would like a wider audience to see this. Ok, now a brief summary of some of my thoughts recently.

In this universe of ours, we find ourselves in a very complex and interesting place. We have scratched the surface of many of its mysteries, and that is a sign of positive human progress. Our questioning is leading to results, and we have a greater understanding of this universe than Man has ever had. We now know that there are several types of energy, some mysterious in nature, that make up our universe and make it what it is. I feel, however, that there are some questions that we don't ask that might further our thinking to further realms. Existence was long ago strictly belonged to the field of philosophy. Without the ability to discover particles and experiment, there was very little hard data that could be procured. Hence, existential questions were trapped to thought experiments. However, with time, we knew more. We discovered the brain governed the body's function, and that the "I" we experience is in that mass of tissue. We are working towards mapping how the brain works, and questioning free will, essentially changing beliefs humanity has held since its inception. It is a fascinating time, but soon enough, we will find explanations for virtually all behavior, and bigger questions will need answering. Humanity has always asked why we are here, and some say God, some say luck, some say fate, but that question has also remained until recently strictly in the philosophy category. As we learn more about science, and in particular, physics, we are getting closer to explaining some big questions, but there are some that as far as I know, no one has approached. These, are mine.

We know the human brain drives the "I" we experience, and most would agree the idea of spirits and God's has slowly wained in the scientific community. Some scientists still believe, but it is rare, and it makes sense, as we have no evidence to believe in any supernatural beings. So, that must be the first explanation of existence to be thrown out. We are then only left with our universe, and the laws we know that govern it to explain this place were in, and our time here.

With that in mind, let us approach all theories of consciousness collectively. Quantum effects have been shown to operate in plants, and of course some scientists think that is the secret to our experience. Some support materialism within strict classical bounds, and feel that is enough to explain why we exist and experience it. While there is a debate between the two, and virtually all other theories, I posit a question I hear very rarely, and as such wish to express. Assuming we exist in this universe with no wool over our eyes, aka no simulations or intentional deceit, there must be a reason we are born as who we are. In short, why was I born to my parents, and why were you born to yours? Why am I this brain, and why are you that brain? The answer has always been chance, and while I believe chance is involved, I doubt it's that simple.

First of all, let me state that I don't mean personality. Personality develops over time, and it is who we are from an objective point of view, but I mean specifically the subjective point of view. Even from a materialistic view, there is issues with the common response that personality determines the subjective. It certainly determines our feelings and emotions, everything that makes us who we are, but it doesn't explain the experience of existing. A quick thought experiment should stress my point. You are walking down the street, and you have the choice of turning left or right. Once that decision is made, a history has been created that cannot be altered. So, if I walk left, it would be fair to say the "me" who walked right does not exist, and even if he did, I could not experience him. However, that statement applies to any direction chosen. You cannot change the past, only alter the future. Since that is the case, it makes sense to say that no matter what you experienced as a baby and your early life, in theory it would still be you experiencing it whatever you did. Or else, our lives are on rails, and everything is determined entirely, but even then it doesn't get at the heart of my question, which I will now expand on.

Hopefully, you understand that by subjective, I mean your specific little space, your brain, your life experience. You aren't Jane because your Jim, and your life is unknown but whatever happens, you will experience it.

With that explained, my question might make a bit more sense. If every human brain that is healthy is conscious, then each one of those brains is a being being brought out of the void. So, what brought me out of the void? And you? The problem is science is currently attempting to explain how the brain works, but there must be something going on behind the curtains of the universe to explain each person's existence. This leads me to my hypothesis.

Many believe that without a God, we can only exist once, because we only see one life. We see a tree grow, and die. We see a human reach the prime of life, and then only a few decades later, slip away. But, perhaps there is more than meets the eye in the universe. If you are born, and experience, many would say you won the life lottery. But, how do you win such a lottery? Chance implies possibilities, and clearly, we are here, which means our possibility exists. Perhaps, we missed something.

The fact that our possibility exists means the universe must keep track of such information, somewhere in it there must be a way or a place that computes our possibility of existence, and compares it to the real world to see if matter has arranged to that shape. Hence, the possibility of a computational universe.

At first glance, such an idea might seem absolutely absurd. But, let us look at a universe without computational power, to see how it would operate. FIrst of all, there would no such thing then as "you" and "me." Similar to time, where we experience it, but it is in many ways a large illusion, consciousness would be an illusion as far as individuals are concerned, because other people would be the same consciousness experiencing a different mix of chemicals in separate bodies. In a way, we are energy experiencing human bodies. It sounds absurd, but look at it from a different perspective. It makes sense that other intelligent beings if they existed, would be conscious, because there is no reason to believe our brains are the only conscious brain possible. If that is so, then that being may be programmed differently, feel things differently, it might come from a totally different family tree of life, and would be very difficult to understand. But, that being would be equally alive and conscious. Therefore, whatever you were born as, be it a human or a different being, you would experience it, and so we must be energy having an experience, because it changes based on the brain we find ourselves attached to, the brain that is us.

If there is no computational power in the universe, what could separate the various conscious beings from one another? As far as we know, we didn't exist, and we came in to existence. But if "I" don't have a specific combination of matter that is mine, then what is to stop any of us from existing again when we are dead? Objectively it wouldn't be the you anybody knew, but for you you'd experience a new life. You would never know of your old one, and in all respects you would not be the person you used to be, but you wouldn't "blank out" at death, you would simply find yourself born again. Imagine that you have lived thousands of times before, but you don't know about it. It would be like that.

Assuming there is something unique about our combination of matter, a computational universe must exist to make our conscious experience unique only to us. Its nature would be very mysterious. After all, how close does matter have to match the possible person in question and allow them to experience birth, and then life? Did my body match my possibility down to the atomic spin? Was it a rough approximation and I could of been born a few different times? Was it important that a few atoms from a tree in Africa found their way to a banana my mother ate to my existence? Or does it only matter that the atoms form a shape that is me?

It might seem ludicrous, but such a computational universe must exist to separate the non-existanant from the existent, especially where consciousness is concerned. Or else, some people may die and find themselves in the world again, experiencing something new with no knowledge of their past. That might be the case, and that would be very comforting I think to most. However, if we are to believe life is a one time deal, there must be a force stopping each one of us from coming back, and that computational energy would be creating new conscious entities that come into existence each time someone is born. Whether quantum effects would allow its implementation, I don't know, and while I believe quantum would be important in such a system for self-computational power, I don't know if that would explain it all. Whether or not such an idea is correct, I think it is fair to say there is still some important questions that need answering that I have presented here, and perhaps in the future such complex questions might get some attention.

I don't pretend to know anything more then what I can theorize here, and I would love feedback. Please keep it civil, and if you have a better explanation, feel free to share. I am not here to preach my idea, but to give my questions to the community for brain-storming and thought provocation. Thank you for reading, I really appreciate it, I hope you have a wonderful day.

Edited by slayerpianoman

IMHO This really doesn't belong in Physics, I don't know perhaps in Speculations or Philosophy.

So far as I can tell, this post is about what you mean by "information" and also "computation", although I am not sure what your precise question is.

Physics and Mathematics have specific definitions of both these terms that I'm pretty sure do not match yours so please tell us what you mean by them and spell out your question more succinctly.

There are a number of theories that attempt to provide a quantum theory of gravity that would seem to fit the general description of "the universe being made up of different possible units" such as String Theory, Loop Quantum Gravity, Causal Dynamical Triangulation, and others.

These all seem to be good physics, so I don't see why the thread shouldn't be here.

(Just noticed that the OP has added a Whole Load 'O' Text while I wasn't looking. I will read it and see if I change my mind!)

Edit: yep, you are right. It might be better under philosophy, religion or speculation. It doesn't appear to be science.

Edited by Strange