Speed kills?

TransformerRobot

If they're wearing a fully enclosed suit of power armor, it's not really open air anymore. I mean, you've effectively just created a less aerodynamic, detachable cockpit module at that point.

Hmm. F1 drivers and their colleagues in other forms of motor sport travel at a decent fraction of the desired speed in open cockpits - they wear protective clothing, helmets, and braces but no power assistance. One of the appeals of the sport and a reason for the lionisation of the drivers is that they combine the immense physical fortitude to bear the strain and battering whilst maintaining the finesse to kiss the apex of the corner at over 100 mph.

Hanging on to a motorbike at 500 mph would probably be impossible for me - or anyone on first attempt; but given the protection from air and dust I would wager a fair sum that Joey Dunlop or either of his sons could (could have done in Joey's case) manage it eventually.

Then how else can I make it more exciting if I can't reach speeds of around 500 mph?

If you reduce the speed for physics purposes, but add a reason for the cockpit to be open, you could solve a couple of problems. I'm thinking of some kind of relay race, where the drivers need to hand something off to a team mate. Either that or give them lances and let them do a ring-tilt (jousting where you aim for a ring to claim it as you pass by).

I could make them closed cockpit, but then nobody would notice they're supposed to be hoverbikes.

Look at this. Without wheels, would this still look motorcycle-esque to you?:

monotracer.jpg

Couldn't I just keep the open-cockpit design and say an electromagnetic field moves air and debris around the rider?

Edited by TransformerRobot