Today's downtime and future updates

Dave

Many apologies to our European visitors for the extended downtime this morning. Unfortunately, our database backup scripts caused us to run out of memory on our machine this morning, making it unresponsive and requiring a power cycle. The subsequent loss of power caused a further delay as the RAID array required resynchronisation. However we are now back online!

Clearly, server issues have become quite the problem over the last few months, which is almost entirely due to increasing memory requirements as our forum grows and the software driving it becomes more complex. For various reasons of both practicality and finance, the easiest way to alleviate this problem is to replace our 7-year-old server with something which is a little more up-to-date and will provide further room for the growth of SFN.

I'm therefore pleased to say that this process has begun, and over the next week I should be able to update you on when the new server will come online.

In the meantime, please bear with us and look forward to a snappier SFN!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update everyone on this, the new server is now in place and operational. We've already transferred the majority of services over to the new server. Our plan is to transfer SFN itself on Saturday 15th February, at around 4pm GMT. In all likelihood the downtime should be relatively minimal, hopefully no more than 1 hour.

One nice feature for those amongst us with retina (or high-DPI enabled) monitors: LaTeX will now render at a much higher DPI for those displays, meaning that readability has been [imath]\text{greatly improved}[/imath]. (Note this won't show up on quick-edit yet, you need to refresh the page.)

Hi, I'm trying to access my blog via the Blogs tab and receive this message:

There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

Please could anyone help with this?
Tri

Hi, I'm trying to access my blog via the Blogs tab and receive this message:

There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

Please could anyone help with this?
Tri

Ah yes, there does appear to be an issue there. I will address that momentarily.

In the meantime, you should be able to access your blog directly at http://blogs.scienceforums.net/Tridimity/

Quick edit: this should now be fixed.