Atomic Masses

Fellowes

Yeah, the brackets pretty much mean 'this element doesn't occur naturally, but the weight we have here in the brackets is for the isotope that's easiest to make'. The weights of the other elements are calculated based on isotope percentages as mentioned earlier. Scientists will take purified samples of elements and run them through a mass spec. They are then able to see the different isotopes and their masses. With that information they can calculate the atomic weights. As the instrumentation and sample sizes increase, the weights become even more accurate.

Understood, but what do elements 110 through 114 have on the periodic table? I weas just wondering about this one (110 - 114) because my science teacher says that sometimes periodic tables dont have those elements? And their names are really close to being the same, whats the relation?

Understood, but what do elements 110 through 114 have on the periodic table? I weas just wondering about this one (110 - 114) because my science teacher says that sometimes periodic tables dont have those elements? And their names are really close to being the same, whats the relation?

Was your table printed before or after 1997?

If it was before, the names will be generic, as they hadn't all been discovered, and of those that had, they hadn't been officially "named" when your periodic table was printed. There is some contention over who discovered what and when, and who has the right to name the elements. Russians vs the West, basically. More

More recently, there was some controversy over data for two isotopes (116 and 118), and the paper supporting the discovery was withdrawn after it was shown the data were fabricated.

The 'temporary' names given are assigned by IUPAC. Until a formal name is decided upon, they use a systemic latin system. For element 115, for example, they would use Ununpentium (115-ium in Latin). So this is why many of those elements appear to have similar names, however the temporary naming does make sense. I remember when I first started chemistry back in the mid-90's, a VAST majority of the elements past the actinides had these temporary names. Kind of makes me feel old seeing these official names coming out. :P

I remember when I first started chemistry back in the mid-90's, a VAST majority of the elements past the actinides had these temporary names. Kind of makes me feel old seeing these official names coming out. :P

I saw my first periodic table in 1960. Imagine how I feel.

Was that when the atomic mass was defined using O-16, rather than C-12? I forget when they made the switchover. I've seen tables based on the old standard.

I believe you are right. If I strain hard enough I can dimly recall the head chemistry teacher (called Gleamo, for his blindingly white lab coat) telling us of the new standard. If I'm recalling correctly it would have been '61 or '62.

Just checked before posting. It was '61. Apparently till the mid 1800s it was H=1. (That one's from a website, not memory.icon7.gif)