Reinstalling Vista operative system on new hard drive ?

Externet

Hi.

The hard drive in my other rarely used compfuser is failing. Does not end loading...

Cannot 'extract' the operative system. The data I do not care, has been regularly backed and have it safe.

The web is filled with instructions on how to backup the data for hard drive replacement, but cannot find what am asking here.

Replacing the hard drive with a new one, how to reload/reinstall my very legal Microsoft software copy that came installed with it?

Never got a CD with the operative system when I bought it. It has the Microsoft sticker with the bunch of numbers. Seen it done somehow at PC service shops, but never paid attention. Think it was via internet, but cannot get to it with a blank hard drive. What am missing ?

Thanks god I run Linux here...

Here's download link for Vista Ultimate. Read the whole article and understand it but try the upgrade version first (X-63452)...download the other files as well in case you need to change plan. These are needed to make a full version.

http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-vista-rtm-with-sp1-setup-files-32-bit-and-64-bit/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AskVG+%28AskVG%29

You will need to remove a particular file in the iso so that you get the choice of which edition you need. Ultimate Edition contains all versions of Windows Vista. Scroll down to the W7 Image Edition Switcher download link and get it.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-choose-desired-windows-7-edition-version-during-setup/

This might be a learning curve with no guarantee of success as I don't know your level. I've done this before but not done a clean install from an upgrade disk which the X-63452 disk is. It might need to be modified into a full disk. It might not be as straightforward a procedure as I might wish. Don't do it if you are pushed for time. You also need your pc drivers.

Note for mods: this is totally legal as he is using his own product key which is what a license relates to...that's what you pay for.

Edited by StringJunky

Thanks, StringJunky.

It is the drive self test 'smart data' ; a warning on number of allocated sectors. and to expand, it is Windows > Vista > Home > Basic version.

I will slowly digest your guidance and see if I dare . Will let you know at some point about success or failure (of my skills)

Hi.

Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop running Windows Vista Home Basic.

Its Western Digital WD2500BEVS hard drive is failing by its 'smart data' report, and before dies,

want to buy new drive and reinstall same legal and valid operative system. Have no discs from such laptop nor from Microsoft.

I'm familiar with that laptop...got a dead one in the bedroom. Have you got an external hard drive available?

What I'm thinking is to image the whole hard drive and store it. Put that image on to the new one then use the recovery drive (which will be in the image to put a fresh operating back by pressing F11 at boot. No need for a Vista disk this way. This is assuming your disk will stay stable long enough to take an image.

Edited by StringJunky

I killed it by overstepping my abilities...I broke two unfixable wires on the motherboard trying to get to the fan.

What's the size of your C; drive? How much is used up on it? How big is your external drive (free space)? How big is the recovery drive...12GB?

Edited by StringJunky

Unfixable wires... well... frown.gif

The ill C: drive is 250GB, over 230GB available (free)

The external archiving USB pluggable drive is 400GB, about 300GB available (free) And I have half a dozen clean 200GB drives available to be installed in that external USB drive box.

Recovery drive ¿? or recovery partition? unsure. Whatever is typical for such, as a guess.

Edited by Externet

What are the numbers/letters after the CQ60 part of the model name? Mine is: CQ60 212EM. You should find it on the underside next to the Windows sticker.

Did you make your HP recovery disks? You have this option if you didn't and will make the process much easier.

Edited by StringJunky

Hi

CQ60-419WM

I have not made any discs.

As not always initializing, is that something that can be done from the BIOS screen selections at turn on ?

If yes, idiot proof instructions from you would be better. I can tackle electronics, but compfusers is another story redface.gif

Thanks

From your laptop's manual:

To create a set of recovery discs:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager.Recovery Manager opens.

2. Click Advanced Options. If you are operating the computer on battery power, you will be prompted to connect to AC power before you can go to the next step.

3. Click Recovery disc creation, and then click Next.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

See if you can get it to make them, mine needed two dvd's

Edited by StringJunky