what is the hottest possible air temperature (weather-related) attainable on earth?

Norbert

I've read that, at the level where official temperature readings are taken, the hottest possible air temperature due to weather is between 131 - 133 degrees Fahrenheit. This seems awfully low, considering how hot surface temperatures can get in the Lut Desert, Iran -- close to 70 degrees centigrade. I'm sure if they set up an appropriate weather station in the middle of the Lut, they'd measure temperatures much above 133 degrees F.

The current, official hottest temperature on earth is 129 degrees F, recorded at Furnace Creek, Death Valley, Ca. in 2007 and on a few earlier occasions. The previous record was held to be 134 degrees F, at the same location, but the thermometer was later determined to have had been too low (too close to the ground) to qualify it as an official reading. Another extreme temperature often cited is 136 degrees F in Aziziya, Libya. That reading was taken over a tarred concrete surface, which means it is highly inaccurate.

So I think the Lut would have the highest possible temperatures given how the surface temperature reaches 70 degrees centigrade there. With such high surface temperatures, how hot can the surrounding air get? If I were to guess I'd top it off at around 137 - 141 degrees F. What do you all think?

Edited by Norbert

Is the temperature, 70 oC, measured in the Stevens screen? If the temperature is measured at the satellite, the temperature will be more higher than the one measured in the Stevens screen. The temperature measured at the satellite might be radiation temperature at the surface soil of the desert?

Edited by alpha2cen

Is the temperature, 70 oC, measured in the Stevens screen? If the temperature is measured at the satellite, the temperature will be more higher than the one measured in the Stevens screen. The temperature measured at the satellite might be radiation temperature at the surface soil of the desert?

Yes, it's measured by satellite and it is the surface soil/sand/rock temperature.

Edited by Norbert

Norbert, the thing to remember is that air is free to circulate. Even though surface temps can get extremely high in deserts, there are photos of tank crews cooking bacon and eggs on the metal of their tanks during WW II, the air temp won't get that high. As soon as the air really starts to heat, it immediately starts to rise and move away from the heating surface, the ground.

• 2 years later...

Is there a limit to the maximum air temperature that is possible (as measured at a standard height above ground in a Stevenson screen)? In various posts I've seen comments regarding humidity and warmer less dense air rising that sound as if they place a maximum limit to naturally occurring air temperature. Is this so?

Does this mean that temperatures of 60+ degrees C are just impossible?

If there are limits to the possible air temperature, will the limits change from one location to another depending on geography. I'm guessing that altitude, slope and proximity to an extensive water body may influence limits?