No free will

CharonY

Free will is the ability to make choices; freely, without subjective cost. Determinism implies the choice has been made by fate. As such, one can not freely choose the alternative without cost or consequence.

A random world is closer to free will, in one sense. I could pick the apple today and orange tomorrow without any price, if that is how the dice roll. However, random assumes no will to chose, against the roll of the dice.

If one choses the apple when the orange dice appears, one would be cursed by the lord chaos. For example, the dice shows certain foods can cause heart problems. This is not true for 100% of the people all the time. So, even if it does not apply to you at that time, one is suppose to act using the roll of the dice, anyway. Free will is not afraid to chose the opposite at times. If not that would imply a subjective price to pay for that choice.

Free will sort of makes use of random, allowing a wider range of choices. Today the apple and maybe tomorrow the orange. But free will also has an element of determinism, with one's willpower making its own determinations, free of emotional cost. Free will blends the two opposites.

Say someone, at a very early age, loved chocolate. Was this determined at birth if this choice will linger throughout their life? When learning free will, one will also try vanilla and strawberry, and maybe moderate chocolate until the original determinism is watered down. One might then use random to make sure all the flavors get a taste, with will choosing this.

It is possible free will is not part of biology. Rather, it requires practice to develop. It takes will to develop free will.

While ethnicity sets us apart by choice and in many instances, through demands, one simple philosophy holds true world wide. Years ago a Frenchman; Rene Descartes made the statement: "Cogito ergo sum" I am, therefore I think. It can't get more explicit than that. Yet, even with this endowed trait, timidity and indecision in a defense system can, and will cause the destruction of any nation. Using that last sentance as a scenario; "free will" is not an option unless you want your strawberry sherbet sprikled with opium!! Or looking to get your throat cut!

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I thought perhaps some fish might have hit that lure before it was in the water. Menza menza.

Edited by rigney