How many electrons can an orbital have?

AtomicMX

the whole "8" thing means that every atom wants a full valence S and 3 full valence P orbitals filled. that's 4 holding 2 each=8.

each pel that contains and S has only 1 S. each pel that contains a P has up to 3 P. 5 D and 7 F maximum. did i answer your question?

Yes the octate law is not my consern, i just want to know if for example...

Px Py and Pz (for an example) are 3 orbitals, or the whole them are one orbital.

(my teacher says that those 3 are 1 orbital, i say that they are 3 orbitals)

And i also said for matter of logic that in an orbital you cant obviously have more than 2 electrons.

That the point i am very concerned.

Yes the octate law is not my consern' date=' i just want to know if for example...

[/quote']

good, it's an oversimplified model that shouldn't be taught imho

Px Py and Pz (for an example) are 3 orbitals, or the whole them are one orbital.

They are 3 different orbitals with very similar quantum characteristics.

(my teacher says that those 3 are 1 orbital, i say that they are 3 orbitals)

You're teacher maybe a bit confused, they are seperate orbitals because they occupy different parts of space, but they are degenerate (i.e. all have the same energy) so on a simplistic level act like one 6 electron orbital. A single orbital can only contain 2 electrons, or this would mean that 2 electrons would have exactly the same quantum characteristics (which is a violation of the Pauli exclusion principle I believe).

And i also said for matter of logic that in an orbital you cant obviously have more than 2 electrons.

Well, it's more a matter of quantum theory, but you are indeed correct.

They have three seperate mathematical functions depicting them. When you contruct their electron density plots, they look exactly alike except that they are alligned along the three different axes x,y, z.

I can give you an example I acctually solved for in the Schrodinger equation for the hydrogen atom.

px turns out to be a real valued function

py and pz turn out to be comlpex valued, which you have to combine linearly to get a real life interpretation.

So quantum mechanically the only thing that electrons sitting inside these orbitals share are the two quantum numbers "principle - n" and "angular momentum - l" and hence also have same energy (degeneracy).

Just the s-orbitals are able to carry just two elektrons, the p-orbtials have a different form namly that of a handle, they are therefore able to carry max 6 electrons...

As you see the capacity of an orbital is not categoricaly limited to two electrons.

Just the s-orbitals are able to carry just two elektrons, the p-orbtials have a different form namly that of a handle, they are therefore able to carry max 6 electrons...

As you see the capacity of an orbital is not categoricaly limited to two electrons.

Orbitals always have at max 2 electrons

There are 3 p orbitals which is why they carry 6 electrons (Atleast read the entire thread carefully)

Can you provide any notations or how can i explain that (with basis) i would appreciate this deeply

Could you please be slightly more precise in your requirement. What exactly do you need ? Just notations or the quantum mechanical analysis of the orbitals ?

Don't ya think that explaining this stuff to a rookie might be a little bit hopeless? Please stop showing of here...

I am not showing off.

What you just posted was comlpete rubbish

p orbital accomadating 6 electrons because of its shape !!