Who can tell me the difference between graphics and image>:D

#2 Phi for All

Phi for All

Chief Executive Offworlder

• Moderators
  • 12,544 posts
  • LocationCO, USA

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

My graphic designer wife tells me that graphics are all of the images and non-text representations in a design. Images are the individual pieces that represent the graphics of a design.

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred!" -- Super Chicken

God does have to keep the miracles going, or no one would believe that He is real.

#3 timo

timo

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,268 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

...and she probably knows better than Phi's other wives.

"Ocean madness is no excuse for ocean rudeness" -- H.J. Farnsworth

#4 Phi for All

Phi for All

Chief Executive Offworlder

• Moderators
  • 12,544 posts
  • LocationCO, USA

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

...and she probably knows better than Phi's other wives.

Oooh, that earned you a comment in German. And if my translation is anywhere near accurate I hope you're at least a gymnast, if not a total contortionist.

I'd tell you what she said but the image is too graphic. ;)

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred!" -- Super Chicken

God does have to keep the miracles going, or no one would believe that He is real.

#5 Pangloss

Pangloss

Wait, what?

• Moderators
  • 10,883 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

I wonder if the OP might instead have been referring to the difference between bitmaps and vector drawings. If so please reply, flower, and we'll discuss it. :-)
According to the US Census Bureau almost 75% of those who live below the "poverty line" own a car (31% own 2+), 43% have a 3-bedroom house, 97% own a color TV, 78% have VCR or DVD, 62% have cable or sat TV, 89% have microwave, and over half have a stereo. 89% have "enough to eat", 80% have A/C, only 6% are overcrowded, and avg child dietary consumption is on par with children of middle an upper income parents. Wouldn't it be nice to know if we have any POOR people in this country?

"No one party can fool all of the people all of the time. That's why we have two parties." - Bob Hope

"They will be satisfied when we have Canadian health care and we’ve eliminated the Pentagon. That’s not reality." - White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs commenting on the "professional left", Aug 10, 2010.

"Pangloss, Every time you open your mouth, your brains are on parade!"
- Norman Albers

#6 Softix

Softix

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

I think the difference between them is

they could be;

jpg, bmp, gif (animated graphic).

#7 Transdecimal

Transdecimal

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:24 AM

I thought graphics were just moving images.
Some people have DNA, others have C30H46O3.

#8 Pangloss

Pangloss

Wait, what?

• Moderators
  • 10,883 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:47 PM

It depends on the context. In the context of web sites, general/business application development, graphic design, etc, moving images are usually referred to by words like "animation" or "video", depending on whether the source is real-world visual capture (from a camera) or computer-generated imagery. But you will see the word "graphics" refer to moving images from time to time in certain contexts, such as "the graphics in that game were pretty good".

But in the context of the first post in this thread, asking for the difference between "graphics" and "images", it seems likely that the poster was asking for the difference between computer-generated, vector-based drawings, and camera-captured still images. I.E. the difference between a drawing file and a bitmap file.

I've taught a number of introductory computer courses and it's a pretty common point of confusion for newcomers to computers, and it leads to a lot of interesting learning opportunities, e.g. questions like "why is a bitmap so much larger than a drawing?", or "why do I have all that ugly block-like haze all over my internet video?" Good stuff.

But the poster hasn't returned since posting this message so I'm guessing they figured it out by now. :-)
According to the US Census Bureau almost 75% of those who live below the "poverty line" own a car (31% own 2+), 43% have a 3-bedroom house, 97% own a color TV, 78% have VCR or DVD, 62% have cable or sat TV, 89% have microwave, and over half have a stereo. 89% have "enough to eat", 80% have A/C, only 6% are overcrowded, and avg child dietary consumption is on par with children of middle an upper income parents. Wouldn't it be nice to know if we have any POOR people in this country?

"No one party can fool all of the people all of the time. That's why we have two parties." - Bob Hope

"They will be satisfied when we have Canadian health care and we’ve eliminated the Pentagon. That’s not reality." - White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs commenting on the "professional left", Aug 10, 2010.

"Pangloss, Every time you open your mouth, your brains are on parade!"
- Norman Albers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users