136 replies to this topic

#121 Rasori

Rasori

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 398 posts
  • LocationUS, Connecticut, in a place I like to call Cow Town

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

What version of Wordpress is this using? I'd happily transfer my blog over (presuming programming counts as science enough) but I've been posting daily for just over a month now on Blogger and I'm finding that only Wordpress 2.2 and above can import from the current Blogger.

#122 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

We're on 2.8, although I'll be upgrading to 2.9 soon enough. Let me know if there are problems with the import tool -- I might have to tinker with some file permissions or something to let it run.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#123 Rasori

Rasori

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 398 posts
  • LocationUS, Connecticut, in a place I like to call Cow Town

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

Cool. I've got some work to do for school, but I'll probably work on transferring it over tonight. I'll let you know if anything goes wrong.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
The importing of my blog was quick and painless. Only complaint is that it imported my tags as categories :doh:.

That said, I'm liking the features I didn't know I didn't have, and I'll be able to change from categories to tags in the near future. Thanks, SFN!

#124 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

Enjoy! I shall be following your RSS feed. (Well, I'll be following the global WordPress RSS feed...)

I hope to make blogs more visible to users in the future.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#125 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 35,464 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

Did you recently "upgrade" wordpress? I can't preview a post I've scheduled.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#126 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Hm, no. Honestly I've never gotten previewing to work on my blog, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

I did turn on the object cache this morning, but that shouldn't do anything...

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#127 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 35,464 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

I get a 404 error when I try and click on individual posts that are already up.

http://blogs.science...t/archives/5153

That should take you to a post from today. Currently it does not.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

#128 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

Curses. Bug in WordPress's memcached backend, I think. As soon as I disabled it, your blog works again.

So much for that idea.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#129 Bill Angel

Bill Angel

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 611 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Maryland

Posted 9 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

I created a blog at
http://blogs.science....net/BillAngel/

I had no problem doing that.

What I would like to do is add entries to my blog from my Android phone.

I downloaded an app from google play that interfaces with WordPress blogs.
But the app has problems logging into my blog. It thinks my username and password are not valid. :'(
Anyone have any knowledge concerning interfacing the SFN blog to Android devices?
Thanks.

#130 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

I don't think there's an easy way to do that through an app, since we've modified the login system to use your account on SFN instead of WordPress accounts.

I might be able to give you a separate WordPress account which can post to your blog, if you'd like.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#131 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 35,464 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

My "incoming links" stopped updating some time ago, and I notice that on Google blog search there's nothing recent listed. Doing the link search on the main Google site shows more recent links, but the blog admin software wants an rss feed, and I don't know how to do that.  

I've poked around the web and others have similar problems, but none of the solutions offered have worked for me.

Any clues?

#132 Moontanman

Moontanman

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 9,485 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern North Carolina

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I had some blog posts here but I can't seem to access them or even log in to create a new blog, s'up with that?  

Edited by Moontanman, 14 February 2013 - 10:57 PM.

Life is the poetry of the Universe
Love is the poetry of life

You do not possess belief, belief possesses you...

I'm always open to new ideas, I just don't let them crawl into my skull and take a dump... 

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but illusion of knowledge.” — Stephen Hawking

"In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ~ thomas jefferson

Religion evaporates in the light of critical inquiry much like the morning dew in the light of the rising sun... 

Check out my YouTube channel here.

If I was helpful, let me know by clicking the [+] sign ->

#133 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

My "incoming links" stopped updating some time ago, and I notice that on Google blog search there's nothing recent listed. Doing the link search on the main Google site shows more recent links, but the blog admin software wants an rss feed, and I don't know how to do that.  

I've poked around the web and others have similar problems, but none of the solutions offered have worked for me.

Any clues?

Not sure what "incoming links" you're referring to; if you point to some of the other sites you've found, I might be able to work it out.

I had some blog posts here but I can't seem to access them or even log in to create a new blog, s'up with that?  

http://blogs.science...net/Moontanman/

I guess we ought to integrate that better.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#134 Moontanman

Moontanman

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 9,485 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern North Carolina

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Thanks, i couldn't figure out how to get there from SFN, i fav'ed it so I can find it next time.. 

Life is the poetry of the Universe
Love is the poetry of life

You do not possess belief, belief possesses you...

I'm always open to new ideas, I just don't let them crawl into my skull and take a dump... 

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but illusion of knowledge.” — Stephen Hawking

"In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ~ thomas jefferson

Religion evaporates in the light of critical inquiry much like the morning dew in the light of the rising sun... 

Check out my YouTube channel here.

If I was helpful, let me know by clicking the [+] sign ->

#135 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 35,464 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Not sure what "incoming links" you're referring to; if you point to some of the other sites you've found, I might be able to work it out.

There's an "incoming links" widget in the dashboard.  

http://codex.wordpre...#Incoming_Links

It queries Google blog search, but that's not giving any new links.

#136 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 35,464 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

It also appears that wordpress is out of date. Version 3.5.1 is the latest stable release.

#137 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 35,464 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

So I wanted to copy/paste my new year's greeting from by blog into twitter, and saw this

Happy return to an arbitrarily chosen starting point in the orbit about our gravitational enslaver - See more at: http://blogs.science...h.GyrDZrAC.dpuf

which AFAIK is the result of some douchey part of analytics/sharingsoftware. As a blogger, I loathe this when I see it in sites and hate that it's running on mine.  Turns out it's from the sharethis widget. It can be fixed by adding some text to the widget options section in the settings for sharethis

in the publisher text section,

stLight.options({publisher:'wp.ee55be32-f15b-457a-9deb-7f9c0e86f265'})

add the following

, doNotHash:true, doNotCopy:true,hashAddressBar:false

at the end, but before the end bracket and parenthesis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users