Nitromethane and naptha

Hogslayer

Can anyone tell me what economical and available chemical can be used as a dispersant for nitromethane in a naptha solution?

Basically I am talking about unleaded race gas, but unleaded premium is probably a better base. That would be something along the lines of Naptha mixed with either 25% Toluene or 35% MTBE, plus whatever junk they feed to cars nowadays.

I can get something locally that is proprietary; it allows mixing of nitromethane and/or methanol in pump gas. It also is supposed to prevent "phase shifting" of methanol, whatever the heck that might be. It is supposed to decrease cylinder head temps as well (alcohol does this) and provide a top cylinder lubricant (mineral oil might be used). But at $10US for a quart, well...

It has an extremely strong napthalene smell. It is clear, along with a purple dye (or maybe its purple naturally?). It contains a significant amount of Methanol and some nitromethane, because the dispersant itself is not sold as a single item.

I would like to mix nitromethane and methanol in pump gas economically. I want to achieve something along the lines of 10% nitro-20%methanol and 70% pump gas, with an additive.

• 7 months later...

naptha???!! I guess i have no clue.. but i really dont think gas smells at all similar to zippo fluid. im shure its a complex mix of hydro-carbies.

have you tried a solution of nitromethane ,methonol and gas?

seems like theyed be miscible.

i know nitro and methanol mix fine. gas seems like it would. youd have to put them all in a bottle and if they accually form 2 layers, find a solvent with a polarity as such to dissolve all.

i will warn you... alcohol is hell on seals, gaskets etc. and nitro detonates, hence only glow plugs in little remote airplane moters. methonal is awesome to pass emissions with, given your car is old enough to not have a computer: wich just will compensate for it.

i have to tell you that i had a very bad experience with nitro in a weedwacker. since nitro fires under little pressure and heat, after it got going i took off the plug wire and it kept SCEAMING

until it seized.

so i suggest doing this in a fast car with bad breaks. sounds like fun

• 7 months later...

Simple answer, stick it in a freezer for a week, it`ll split into 2 distinct layers :)

NM on it`s own will NOT detonate, and it`s Oxygen poor also, only when combined with something along the lines of Ammonium Nitrate will it become a viable and detonatable explosive, AMMN (or otherwise known as "rackarock")

even then it`ll still be fuse insensitive, and will require a detcap, it lacks the what`s known as "critical diameter" to make the DDT (Deflagration to Detonation Transition) in an engine.it will propogate a partial shockwave front though.

Non the less, it is SILL a dangerous substance if you have it laying around in the garage or shed etc... :)