Laser light in a translucent container

Light Fantastic

If I shine my laser pointer at a container that is translucent but closer to opaque, a red glow appears inside the container, big enough to completely fill the container if it is small. I've tried doing Google searches for an explanation, but I guess I don't know the right search terms to use. Could someone please explain what is happening here, hopefully without mathematical equations? Thanks!

Light is reflecting off of multiple surfaces.

Hollow light guides exhibit similar behavior, but are shaped to channel the light from opening to exit. Having a closed end means the light is sent back to you.

It's possible other effects are happening. A picture would help.

Light would be reflecting off of multiple surfaces in containers with lower levels of opacity too,  though, right, even though they do not show this effect? I'm going to try and attach an image; hopefully you can see that there is an area of bright glow around the dot, and then the entire container is filled up with light at a dimmer level.

Laser-6419-E.jpg

The container material is translucent only partially, a lot of the laser light that you shine onto it is bounced around and refracted by the opaque plastic. Shine the laser through your finger/hand (if your laser is not more than 20mW) and look at the blood and vains that become visible - same principle, the concentrated laser light is bounced around your body tissue giving a glow effect. You can get a set of prisms from a well known Chinese site for around 5 bucks, these are really fun to play around with. You can also use your laser to perform one of the most important experiments in physics history - the double slit experiment : 

Oh and be careful with lasers, they are really nasty to your eyes retinas. What is the power rating of your laser and what color is the light?

Edited by koti

What I'm using is a small red laser pointer attached to a key ring; I have no technical specifics about it. When I shine it at my finger, I don't see anything except my finger with a red light on it. What I'm hoping to find out is, is there a name for this effect that causes the light to fill the container, and why this only happens with this particular container, not other containers that are also translucent but less opaque?

38 minutes ago, Light Fantastic said:

What I'm using is a small red laser pointer attached to a key ring; I have no technical specifics about it. When I shine it at my finger, I don't see anything except my finger with a red light on it. What I'm hoping to find out is, is there a name for this effect that causes the light to fill the container, and why this only happens with this particular container, not other containers that are also translucent but less opaque?

If its a small key ring laser the good news is it's probably not powerful enough o hurt your eyes and the bad news is that my suggestion with shining it through your finger/hand won't work. You can still perform the 2 slit experiment though and it will work just fine. As for "the effect" you are asking about, it's not really any specific effect that has a specific name. This particular container material happens to reflect and refract light in that particular way. To put it in simple words, the light bounces around in that particular material in a way that produces a glowing effect that you see. Like swansont said above, the light looks like it's being diffused so I guess the effect name that you are looking for could be "Diffused Light" ?

Edited by koti