H2o

I'm sure I asked this before, but can't remember/find the answer.

So, well, I can ask this several ways, complete the pattern:

CaCO3 --> limestone --> calcium carbonate

H2O --> water --> ______?

It's not hydroxide which would be OH, its not a dioxide because there's only 1 O... so what is the chemical name (is that the right phrase?) for water?

[edit] In the title, I used a capital O and then it changes it back, dunno why, I've tried it 4 times now, it won't stay capitalised!!!

Is that for certain or just a guess?

(Don't take that the wrong way, really, no offense, just like, that's what I woulda guessed, but is that really it?)

[edit] a chem teacher once said hydrogen dioxide, but wouldn't say why and I never believed him.... other places say dihydrogen oxide

Surely covalent; as ionic bonds only occur between a metal and a non-metal, a covalent is between gas and gas, metalic bond between metal and metal.... unless there are exceptions that I don't know about!

(I don't mind this sidetrack, but please bare in mind OP too!)

I'm sure I asked this before' date=' but can't remember/find the answer.

So, well, I can ask this several ways, complete the pattern:

CaCO3 --> limestone --> calcium carbonate

H2O --> water --> ______?

It's not hydroxide which would be OH, its not a dioxide because there's only 1 O... so what is the chemical name (is that the right phrase?) for water?

[i'][edit] In the title, I used a capital O and then it changes it back, dunno why, I've tried it 4 times now, it won't stay capitalised!!![/i]

Have a look at http://www.dhmo.org/msdsdhmo.html ;)

" as ionic bonds only occur between a metal and a non-metal, a covalent is between gas and gas, metalic bond between metal and metal.... unless there are exceptions that I don't know about!"

What about the ionic bonding in ammonium sulphate, where the cation has no metal. Or ammonium dichromate, where the anion has a metal but the cation does not?

Covalent bonding does not occur exlusively between gases: carbon disulphide is covalent, for example. Nor is it limited to non-metals, although with metals the bonding is usually termed 'dative covalent' or somesuch e.g. MnO4-

Ionic and covalent bonding are extreme types of bonding, and most bonding is a blend of the two types.

An example of a metal/non-metal covalent bond is beryllium chloride. BeCl2 is covalent in nature and not ionic.

I think the IUPAC name for H2O is actualy 'water', so there really is no 'right or wrong' name for H2O as its common name is acceptable.

i dont think the iupac name would be dihydrogen monoxide. i believe it would be hydrogen oxide.

Yes, it is hydrogen oxide for sure

http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/oxides/ice/ice.htm

https://cindasdata.com/Applications/TPMD/TOC/?sLetter=H

but I'm still not sure why they drop the di- and mon- on the naming :confused:

What's weird is that dihydrogen monoxide doesn't seem to be water according to this website

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/dhmo.htm

"Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death."

i love saying dihydrogen monoxide to people as a joke. I had a small vial at school, so i filled it with water and pretended to trip and spilt it on some kid and i was like "oh crap, i got dihydrogen monoxideon you" and he started freaking out.

another random question since we're on the topic of water, is H2O itself covalent or ionic?

It is considered to be polar - covalent. The polar covalency (made up conjugation?) is due to the relatively large difference in electronegativity (grip on its own electrons) of the hydrogen atoms and the oxygen atom. The polar covalent property allows for weak conduction (metals and salts that are in non-distilled water enhance conductivity making it unsafe with curling iron and all that other bs in the water if your wondering).

The electronegativity is determined by the number of protons in the nucleus attracting the electrons and how distant the valence (outer most shell/ "orbit") electrons are. This means that hydrogen (lower electronegativity) has a weaker attraction (because there is only one proton) to its valence electron (in first shell/ "orbit") than the oxygen and therefore the shared electrons in the covalent bond are actually leaning towards the the oxygen side making it slightly negative and the hydrogen slightly positive. The difference in electronegativity is not great enough, however, to form a complete separation and polarization of the electron (now transfered from one atom to the other.. i.e. ionic bond).

In this case the number and strength of the protons in the nucleus of the oxygen atom is strong enough to overcome the much shorter distance of the hydrogen valence electron. You can find a complete table of electronegativity here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronegativity

So, all in all every bond is slightly polar (except diatomic bonds H,O,N,F,Br,Cl). So does anyone know if this means everything is actually slightly conductive? Possibly even the diatomic molecules because no two things are exactly alike (different places in the orbitals cause slightly different distances from nucleus etc.) I may be totally wrong in something but if someone could explain that it would help me a lot.

Oh yeah, the only other alternative for Water I have heard is hydrogen hydroxide... and that is because a portion of the water is actually separated this way (like H+ and OH- ???) I think.. at least that is what i have heard.

Oh yeah, the only other alternative for Water I have heard is hydrogen hydroxide... and that is because a portion of the water is actually separated this way (like H+ and OH- ???) I think.. at least that is what i have heard.

Yeah but if you go by that it could also be called hydrohydrogeic acid(?)

Yeah but if you go by that it could also be called hydrohydrogeic acid(?)

I don't think so because the OH- balances it out making it neither acid nor base. (H+ to OH- ratio remains equal)

Oh yeah (edit)

"maybe when they say dihydrogen monoxide, they mean heavy water, which can cause illness. "

I'm not positive but I don't think so becuase 'dihydrogen monoxide' does not indicate deuterium in the chemical formula.

I don't think so because the OH- balances it out making it neither acid nor base. (H+ to OH- ratio remains equal)

Well yeah, water is amphoteric. I was just saying, with water the naming system for compounds doesn't work so well. That's what I was trying to prove.

I guess hydrogen hydroxide would be an ok name for it, because it shows that it is acid and base at the same time when it dissociates.