Bioinformatics courses

teddy

Hello,

I'm currently studying biotechnology and I'm going for bachelor next year, but to be honest I totally don't see my future in here. I would like to try bioinformatics, some data analysing, science world with computers.

I'm going to sign up for some post-diploma 2 years bioinformatics course after I graduate biotechnology, but maybe somebody knows any good beginner bioinformatics course online that I could start educating from now and slowly make my steps in this direction?

Thanks for help.

I just finished by BSc in biotech. I currently do research for a diagnostics company. I can say for sure that bioinformatics is an great field to get into, especially with the growing interest in data science. I had a friend who started in biotech and then moved over into bioinformatics. You're going to want to get more into computer knowledge rather biological, as your biotech degree will cover most of that.

Specifically, I would suggest getting started in numerical analysis, data structures, data science, specific statistical programs, etc. Go into a book store (Barnes & Noble), and just grab book and a coffee and read for an hour or two. Don't bother looking online for this stuff, excpect for really basic, intro material. If you want an in-depth look, try a few books on the topic.

Don't bother looking online for this stuff, excpect for really basic, intro material. If you want an in-depth look, try a few books on the topic.

No, you need to document everything. If you are going to learn something outside of college keep records of what you have done. This could just be a bunch of excel/R programs to circuit diagrams. You could put stuff on github or circuits.io etc. That way when next you are in college you can say I have studied a,b,c and I have done some practical work which you can have a look at.