Is there a way to make ball joints not make noise?

SFNQuestions

I notice that ball joints have that undesired creaking sound, whereas the bones in your body which are much bigger make nearly no noise when they transition from static to moving. Is there a way to keep the friction of a ball joint while making it quiet?

Or alternatively, is there some kind of gear equivalent to a ball joint that uses increased surface contact with helical spurs?

Oil? (I think that's why our joints are relatively smooth. While young, at least)

Are these better? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_joint#Spherical_rolling_joint

(I am not aware of the problem you refer to, so its just a guess)

No something mechanical that holds its place. The kind of ball joint I'm referring to is one that uses friction to maintain a stiff armature, but can move in any direction. It's similar to the one you presented but without the ball bearings.

The noise probably comes from stick-slip. Removing or sufficiently reducing static friction solves the issue. This could be done by adding ball bearings, oil, layer of air, magnetic levitation or possibly changing the material to low friction material such as Teflon.

Changing the load and/or the speed could also help.

Perhaps surprisingly, increasing the dynamic friction can also help (because it is the difference between static and dynamic friction that causes stick-slip), which can be done by roughening the surfaces. The squieking noise will probably be replaced by grinding noise, though.

Edited by Bender

The noise probably comes from stick-slip. Removing or sufficiently reducing static friction

Well that would defeat the purpose of the entire ball joint then, because it's suppose to function as a small armature component that holds its place.

Well that would defeat the purpose of the entire ball joint then, because it's suppose to function as a small armature component that holds its place.

Depending on the joint, a bit of oil could do the trick. When static, the clamping might still be large enough to keep it in place, especially if it is the type where you can change the clamping to lock/unlock the joint. While moving, the oil could result in enough lubrication to avoid stick-slip.

I notice that ball joints have that undesired creaking sound, whereas the bones in your body which are much bigger make nearly no noise when they transition from static to moving. Is there a way to keep the friction of a ball joint while making it quiet?

Or alternatively, is there some kind of gear equivalent to a ball joint that uses increased surface contact with helical spurs?

Adequate lubrication will render any sort of joint system to be silent enough do as to not be heard by operator of the vehicle in which said joints are in.

So, to borrow from the old realtor mantra....... Lubrication, Lubrication, Lubrication!