New to science

RavenSmith

Hello all.

In joining this forum, it is my goal to socially entrench myself within this community.

I want to learn math. I finished college algebra and am having difficulty motivating myself to study further. I hope that those here would enjoy explaining to me where, how, and why each of the different mathematical disciplines are rewarding or useful.

I want to learn physics. I want to learn the rulebook to this game of life. I want to understand what we can achieve and what is currently beyond our grasp.

I want to learn about artificial intelligence and machine learning. I want to, at the very least, be informed about the most recent developments in computer science and be able to grasp the consequences of them.

Most importantly, I hope to meet proud nerds who can show me what math has accomplished and how I can contribute.

I'm looking at Mount Everest here. I need sherpa help.

Edit: Upon the election of he who shall not be named (HWSNBN), I have reached an epiphany that science education in our society is both vital and currently insufficient. I want to know enough to teach. I'm kind of an ignant ol boy from Cut N' Shoot, Texas and was never given a proper academic pep talk.

What's the old saying? "Associate with who you want to be like," or something along those lines.

Edited by RavenSmith

Well mathematics is definetely the lanquage of physics. One can only truly understand a subject such as relativity or quantum mechanics by understanding the underlying math.

Indeed understanding the math prevents numerous misunderstandings that typically dominate the physics forum. In point of detail it is near impossible to understand the majority of physics textbooks on any physics topic without having a good mathematical basis to work from. Even the rudimentary introduction level textbooks require a certain degree of understanding calculus, differential geometry etc.

Calculus made easy open source

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_148402352929112&key=6afc78eea2339e9c047ab6748b0d37e7&libId=ixr19fk3010009we000MA19cc0hjtmcbgl&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.physicsforums.com%2Fthreads%2Fphysics-learning-resources.825111%2F&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gutenberg.org%2Ffiles%2F33283%2F33283-pdf.pdf&title=Physics%20Learning%20Resources%20%7C%20Physics%20Forums%20-%20The%20Fusion%20of%20Science%20and%20Community&txt=Calculus%20Made%20Easy%20F.R.S

just in case your interested. In truth I couldn't have the detailed understanding of various physics topics without understanding the math. I finished my university training several decades ago. I still find it necessary to improve my math to understand current research into various physics topics. I constantly study even to this day.

Lol that study drives my wife nuts sometimes:P

Lets put it this way. Certain posters on this forum has excellent math skills. Although they may not understand subjects such as relativity/QM/cosmology or particle physics. They could literally pick up any textbook on the topic. Read it once or twice and walk away with a solid understanding. They are far less likely to fall into misconceptions provided by poorly worded descriptions.

They can easily master any physics topic simply because they have the required math skills

Edited by Mordred

Welcome to SFN...... :)

To understand physics you need to have a good hold over mathematics. As you asked how maths helps, I will tell you that maths is basically required to interpret the theories and hypotheses of physics. Even for the simple definition of pressure, we like it show it as P=F/A.