Are there many origins to different Universes?

geordief

Not sure how mainstream an idea this is.

I think we all know that we do not know the size or structure of the Universe (not the observable Universe , the Universe)

And we can talk (maybe to limited effect) about the Universe as opposed to the observable Universe because we can (and do ,I guess) assume that the Universe does not stop just because we cannot observe it

So here is my idea. :

What we see as the observable Universe may well be finite in that it may have had a beginning and may also eventually have a thermal death but ,outside this observed /observable Universe there may (or may not) be other regions where similar things are happening.

To try to put flesh on that , I am wondering is it possible that "our" Universe is but a minuscule part of a "myriad" ("myriad" may be to underestimate the scale -"infinite myriads" might be better) of similar, or dissimilar structures that may (or may not) have a global structure.

Perhaps , I am saying nothing and there is nothing (no experimental observation to get one's teeth into but perhaps if we can "define" the possible limits of what we can know about the Universe it may serve to orient our thoughts regarding what we actually can know.....?.

We can only conclusively confirm our observable portion. Due to lack of net flow either towards or inward flow, indicates via thermodynamic flow that the portion outside our Observable portion should be in roughly the same thermodynamic state. However we can't conclusively determine that.

So yes the universe can be finite or infinite. The only viable means that I know of to determine one or the other is to solve the BB itself. We simply cannot measure the entire universe.

Universe geometry isn't conclusive enough

Edited by Mordred

Would it be unduly "pessimistic" to imagine that this is a question that could remain possibly/probably unanswered even if human civilization and its expansion of knowledge was to co-exist with the universe itself ? ( it was to continue right up until its thermal death)

EDIT:cross posted.

So you perhaps think solving the BB/singularity conundrum would open the doors to other areas of knowledge such as the extent of this and other possible universes?

Edited by geordief

Absolutely, by the way I don't see anything outside of a common mainstream question so far in this thread. If you like I can move it to Astronomy forum but I'll let you decide

Edited by Mordred

absolutely

On the negative side ,perhaps that indicates the level of difficulty in solving the BB/singularity conundrum.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Dr Who series of programs on the BBC but the good Doctor had a house that was the size of a telephone kiosk

When he went in through the front door it was many times bigger on the inside.

Perhaps the 10^-43 seconds we "are from" the BB/singularity might open up into an endless vista..... infinitely larger than that ridiculously short time span.

Otherwise (if the circumstances can be understood) it sounds like it would be a real Pandora's box if there could be a model that would incorporate this area.

Well there is alternate models where BB is a cyclic process of expand/collapse of our universe. In this scenario one can nearly remove the BB in a sense. It depends on how you define the BB in this case.

LQC has a mathematical method to handle the singularity problem via "bounce" which is essentially the above. However as we cannot measure far enough back in time due to the mean free path of light prior to CMB. The mean free path was too short due to too much interferance from other particles (surface of last scattering).

Hopefully if we can develop a reliable method of detecting neutrinos. We may be able to see much closer to the BB but not quite all the way as neutrinos dropped out of thermal equilibrium slightly later.

Between this and LHC studies we can hopefully garnish a solution to BB