The Seagull question

Two emaciated men jump out of a ship onto a beach. One simply walks away. The other goes into a nearby restaurant and orders seagull. He takes one bite, and then commits suicide. Why?

You may ask yes or no questions, I may answer yes, no, irrelevant, or pretty much whatever I please :D . If you have heard this before, please, don't answer for others.

-Uncool-

Cool, one of these yes or no types I've never heard. Did you mean a boat instead of a ship (a ship is anything over 100 tons, which I would assume would have facilities for keeping passengers from emaciation)?

Them being "emaciated" gives that part away. They had to be stranded somewhere with not much food, either on the boat or on an island.

Had the men been eating nothing but seagull while they were on the island?

Okay, I think I've got it. My next question is a spoiler if I'm right, so I'll hide it. I'm going to sleep, so I'll check in the morning. Uncool is the only one who should check the highlight.

[hide]Was there at least one other person on the island with the two men?[/hide]

hmmm... how about: excluding matters directly related to the seagul, was there any conversation between the man and the person who served him the seagul.

Phi: I think you know the riddle...
Sorry you don't trust me not to participate it if I did.

I know a lot of these yes or no riddles, i.e. the man with the pack on his back, the man who asks for a glass of water, the man in the elevator, the dead man and the bicycles, etc, so I know how they work. This was a new one for me.

In the future, leave out the emaciation, it tipped me off.

I do trust you, Phi, I was just saying that from the question, it sounded like you knew the riddle in another form, and that the question was your way of recognizing it.

Dak: no.

-Uncool-