Warp Speed, Light speed um yeah.. read

cHIs-

traveling at the speed of light or faster? IS IT POSSIBLE? well id hate to think its impossible, and it cant be proven impossible until tried , witch could be pretty life threatning... well since i started watching star trek and its really messed with my mind and made me want to fnd out more about light travel and star trek is made up, i want to know the real possibilties about light speed warping what not, i really want to beileve its possible, and i read somewhere that very little work is being done (i understand it may cost alot) , hope more work can be done, and i want to be alive when it is!, but i want some reasonable answers why it could be possible, and who knows, somewhere on the otherside of space, someone might be on there way!

Originally posted by cHIs-

i read somewhere that very little work is being done (i understand it may cost alot) , hope more work can be done, and i want to be alive when it is!, but i want some reasonable answers why it could be possible, and who knows, somewhere on the otherside of space, someone might be on there way!

This is because most scientists have agreed that einstein was correct; forbidding bodies with mass to travel at c.

Star Wars approaches the problem through the slightly silly "accelerate to light speed and then we can punch through to hyperspace where relativity does not apply" route, which is a bit dubious.

Star Trek had a slightly better solution (at least, once Okuda and Sternbach took over techy stuff).

The warp field serves two functions:

(i) Push the ship into subspace, a 'layer' that covers the same volume as normal space but... using less space. Yeah, I know.

(ii) Shield the ship from the effects of relativity.

This is handy because it allows FTL travel time without FTL travel, and allows energy weapons to be fired between ships at warp, etc etc.

Problem is they never explained how it was meant to work, but assuming subspace (or something matching the description) exists, and we can find a way to evade relativistic effects, AND we don't destroy ourselves along the way, someone will figure it out eventually.

well thanks for your idea's i guess if they possible had an idea, but it may affect killing a human, they could send a probe, just to see if it does warp, and ofcourse there isnt much luck of getting it back.. but its silly to just say, lets forget about the whole idea becuase of what einstein said, even if his explination was very reasonable. :/