tomatoes liek acid?

Plants that prefer acidic soil (ericaceous) tend to have less efficient roots due to the conditions in which they evolved. Alkaline soils tend to lock up magnesium and particularly iron, which plants need. The less eficient roots of ericaceous plants can't unlock these minerals, where other plants can. Reducing the soil pH frees up these minerals to they are useable by plants such as azalea, rhododendron etc.

If you have ericaceous plants in alkaline soil, they will thrive, as long as you provide iron in a form it can utilize (i.e. chelated). A sequestered iron drench once a month will keep them healthy.

Plants that prefer acidic soil (ericaceous) tend to have less efficient roots due to the conditions in which they evolved. Alkaline soils tend to lock up magnesium and particularly iron' date=' which plants need. The less eficient roots of ericaceous plants can't unlock these minerals, where other plants can. Reducing the soil pH frees up these minerals to they are useable by plants such as azalea, rhododendron etc.

If you have ericaceous plants in alkaline soil, they will thrive, as long as you provide iron in a form it can utilize (i.e. chelated). A sequestered iron drench once a month will keep them healthy.[/quote']

so acid unlocks minerals based on what glider said here/ right?

Yes, the lower pH binds certain minerals, particularly iron, making them available to these plants, . Acid loving plants in an alkaline soil develop chlorosis (the main symptom of which is yellowing leaves with green veins). As I said, a drench with sequestered iron can solve the problem.

by the wayu h2so4, dilute acid help tomato plants grow. But any acid (acid rain) with a ph of 2 or lower is bad for the plant, and casues "burns" on the leaves (dead spots) [found through my BCP project (bio experiment]