Can a dog becomes a bear?

fredreload

Let's say you modify every single DNA of a dog to the DNA of a bear, does the dog grows into a bear? I'm thinking it is possible, unfortunately I've never heard of growing an extra arm out of the body, not even through Crispr/Cas9. I'm saying it in the post-zygote stage

P.S. If not we'll have to rely on stem cells since it is capable of differentiating, rather than growing it from scratch it's more like sculpturing

Edited by fredreload

I'm thinking it is possible, unfortunately I've never heard of growing an extra arm out of the body, not even through Crispr/Cas9. I'm saying it in the post-zygote stage

Do you heard about lizard regenerating their tails?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard

"Many lizard species (including geckos, skinks, and others) are capable of shedding part of their tails through a process called autotomy. This is an example of the pars pro toto principle, sacrificing "a part for the whole", and is employed by lizards to allow them to escape when captured by the tail by a predator. The detached tail writhes and wiggles, creating a deceptive sense of continued struggle, distracting the predator's attention from the fleeing prey animal.

The lizard will partially regenerate its tail over a period of weeks. A 2014 research identified 326 genes involved in the regeneration of lizard tails.[8] The new section will contain cartilage rather than bone, and the skin may be distinctly discolored compared to the rest of the body."

Your question is ambiguous. You note that this "modification" is to occur post-zygote, but you do not say when post-zygote. I don't think it would be common practice to refer to a dog embryo two cell divisions post-zygote as a dog. We should likely call it a dog embryo.

I put modification in quotation marks, since if you change the DNA to that of a bear, you haven't so much modified it, as replaced it.

Are you therefore asking if the other celullar machinery, such as mitochondria, would fail to properly interface with the proteins generated by the DNA? If so, I would have thought the answer was yes: no bear. But I am not a biologist, so I may be surprised by a properly informed answer.

Hmm right my question is that, we agree at embryonic stage if we swap the DNA of the zygote it can become anything. But after the zygote stage, let's say the cells stops differentiating as a dog body. Can it still turn into a bear? I know our DNA is constantly replicating, but from a dog to a bear, the dog needs to gain a few hundred pounds here. That means every cell needs the fundamental ability to replicate a stem cell and differentiate it into bear parts. So then I got the idea that if you got a block of stem cells(the size of a bear), you can change the stem cells' gene expression and sculpture it into a bear. As for the age of this being? Haven't got there yet

P.S. I mean even for cancer cells I don't think the cancer cells differentiate

Do you heard about lizard regenerating their tails?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard

"Many lizard species (including geckos, skinks, and others) are capable of shedding part of their tails through a process called autotomy. This is an example of the pars pro toto principle, sacrificing "a part for the whole", and is employed by lizards to allow them to escape when captured by the tail by a predator. The detached tail writhes and wiggles, creating a deceptive sense of continued struggle, distracting the predator's attention from the fleeing prey animal.

The lizard will partially regenerate its tail over a period of weeks. A 2014 research identified 326 genes involved in the regeneration of lizard tails.[8] The new section will contain cartilage rather than bone, and the skin may be distinctly discolored compared to the rest of the body."

I missed your post lol, does the tail begin to regenerate as lizard stem cells or do they replicate from bone and skin cells? I heard the lizard's DNA is twice as long as ours

P.S. Wait that means it's possible, because DNA knows your shape you grow into in order to regenerate a tail or a limb hmm. Instead of healing a wound you turn normal cell into stem cell to grow into a bear, some type of link?

P.S. You signal the entire body to do a repair

Edited by fredreload