Alternative Learning

Kindria2000

Question: Do you think that alternative learning environments are "better" than say a normal classroom environment? For example, I go to a School called the Harwood Community Learning Center. I go there for two hours every day for 4 days a week and am completely focused in my work. Another great thing about this program is that I am able to create my own curriculum. For example, I'm doing a science project on Anti Social Behavior Modification. I would have never been able to do something like that I was in a "Normal" High school. If I were in a normal science class, than I would be failing because I was bored or was talking to my friends, etc. But even though I'm with other people that i talk to, I am always working. I think that you can get away with a lot of slacking in a normal High school.

Anyway, what I am wondering is if you think that alternative schools would be a better place to learn than a regular class were even if you don’t get it, the rest of the class does so your left behind. I know I'm kind of being biased, but I want your opinion.

Heres the website for my school so you can get a feel for it: http://www.harwoodclc.org/

• 2 months later...

:) Dear Kindria,

pljames here. I hate,despise and loathe traditional education. They cannot think outside the box, focus outside the box and understand anything outside of the box especially new innovations in education. Professor Howard Gadner of MIT has come up with a new formula for intelligence. Multiple Intelligences. Buit the traditional educational establishments will curse and swear with there last breath he is the devil. Traditional education failed me miserably, and have not really gotten that far in reform for traditional education.

Check out my thread in education and let me know what you think.

pljames

• 1 month later...

Hi, just in response to your post about attending an alternative school.

I am currently in my final year of an education course in Australia. We haven't really had much experience with alternative schooling as there is not a large number of them in the state. I was just wondering if you knew the theory behind alternative schooling as opposed to traditional schooling.

Cheers

Matt

I honestly hate my public schooling, but I dread the idea of an alternative education program.

A high school provides a basic backbone for everything higher than flipping burgers. Most people would never be exposed to most area's of study had they not seen a glimpse of them in high school.

Also say you only learn about frogs, you will never learn enough about writing a proper essay to publish your results.

(hmmm this was supposed to be a rant but I find myself to tired to write anymore so I shall finish it off with a question)

is the school you attend accredited?

I still think a well-rounded education is key. Sure, someone may not *enjoy* math, but just the fact that they're forced to think in a technical mindset is beneficial and will help them in their other endeavours. I think a fundamental basis of education is a balance between all subjects - for mere exposure. Then when you go to college you can decide what you *truly* enjoy.

agreed, there can also be a small compromise, For instance my school posseses a science research class. In this class (I'm in it) you undertake some scientific project research it and eventually submit it to various science fairs.

THe class meets 4 times a week exactly like all of the other classes that i'm in. This grants students the freedom to learn things that they are interested and get credited for them, while ensuring that they get the full rounded education that high school needs to provide.